Monday, July 17, 2006

Stitch-It Kit pillowcase #2



I finally finished the second Stitch-It Kit pillowcase last night - I mainly wanted to practice my French knots but they're still looking pretty sub-par. :) Oddly, instead of getting tired of the whole pillowcase thing, I found myself thinking of new ideas, so I bought a couple more on sale yesterday.

second little bird

I may just give up on the French knots and just accept that they're not my specialty... :) Lately I've been thinking of Frida Kahlo's paintings, and I sketched one today while on lunch at work. Who knows, that might be the next theme for something... I love how vibrant she was, how unique and how proud of her culture. I read today about her disliking the city and hinting at that in her paintings.

Living in New York, I often think of two of her paintings, one where she stands on the border between Mexico and the United States, and the other where her dress hangs between the two. In both, her image of the city is everything I see here: overflowing trash, grime, dull skyscrapers, and electric lights. I suppose I long for green things the way she longed for the desert and Mexico. Mostly I long for that feeling of nature, of being closer to (if not totally enveloped in) natural things. And the smell of New York in the summer. Sigh. They don't put that in movies. :)

8 comments:

CatherineNiven said...

This is so pretty! I love the Stitch It Kit. Think I'll use the bird for a baby bib.

floresita said...

Thank you! Yes, that bird pattern is one of my favorites - it's so elegant and tatoo-ish. :)

MissEm said...

French knots are so hard! I have never quite mastered them!

lady butta.fly said...

i just bought the stitch-it kit the other day. embroidery will be something new for me to learn and finding your photos on flickr has really inspired me. great work!

floresita said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has problems - I thought I was knot-impaired... ;) Seriously, it has taken A LOT of practice to occasionaly make one nice french knot.

floresita said...

Thank you lady butta.fly! I'm so excited to see what you make - I love that kit! ;)

vintagechica said...

Holy Schmoly...I dont even know where to start. Your things are so wonderful. I have to make this one for my husband, he will love it!!!

Que Bueno!!!

floresita said...

Thank you vintagechica, you are too kind! :) I have really been digging these pillowcases, and they're surprisingly easy to stitch... I can't wait to see yours! ;)