Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lucha Libre Pillowcase

all done!

I stitched this as a present for my brother, to (sort of) match the Carmencita pillowcase I made for my sister-in-law. I wanted to choose a "manly" subject, but have it be something that would definitely make him laugh, so I chose these funky Lucha Libre wrestlers from Sublime Stitching that crack me up...

closeup on the wrestler head

The words in Spanish, say "los hombres no deben llorar", which happens to be the title of one of my favorite sappy telenovela songs. I guess the closest equivalent is "boys don't cry", which also happens to be one of my favorite Cure songs... :) All in all, I hope it brings a smile to his face (he is allowed to cry, of course - I just hope, not too often).

closeup on the little wrestler

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Floresita,

Your stitching is beautiful! And you have such great ideas too. I am making pillow cases for friends of mine who are Spanish and your Cure song reminded me of my favorite Cure song, "Just Like Heaven" ... which I think will go nicely on a pillowcase but then I was wondering what the proper translation would be in Spanish ... can you help? My email is emradiation(at)hotmail.

Thanks,
Erin

floresita said...

Hi Erin, thanks! Hmmm... I did some research on this one, because I'm pretty sure "Just Like Heaven" doesn't directly translate... I stumbled on a translation on somebody's blog that called it "Igual al cielo" but that doesn't sound so romantic, eh?

I think of expressions my mom uses (bring from Mexico) and I think of far prettier things, like "como estar en las nubes." This means literally, "like being in the clouds"... much prettier, huh? I'd go with that one if it was my pillowcase, since it's something people actually say...

Jeanne said...

Just found your blog and I love it. My favorite title for a telenovela es Los ricos tambien lloran....

Pobrecitos!

It was on one of the two stations we could get on the Pampas in Argentina.

floresita said...

Thanks Jeanne! :) I LOVE novelas - so much that I can't watch more than 20 minutes before I'm totally hooked. :)