Tuesday, March 13, 2007

sad girl progress

choosing colors


As usual, choosing colors has proved to be a challenge, so I even snapped a few pics with thread in place to gauge how it looked. Here is sad girl as of Sunday afternoon - looking at her in a wrinkled state was not inspiring me, so I whipped out some wooden stretcher bars and tape to take this progress shot. You can see the faint hints of a banner across the top and two small birds.

so far... my drawing


I based this all on a quick drawing (above) I did a couple of weeks ago, but I still have ideas in my head that didn't make it onto the page. I'm mainly thinking of the idea of sadness, of things and words that make me sad - I'm not sure why but I feel like it's something I want to express... and no, I'm not extremely sad! :) To me it represents how people experience emotions, but don't necessarily dwell on them or talk a lot about them... More to come.

4 comments:

Hambone said...

I love this. I love the texture of this, and the colors as well - it's not tragic-sad, it's quiet, real-life-sad. Gorgeous.

floresita said...

Thank you! I'm so inspired (of course) by Frida Kahlo's paintings and by Jenny Hart's embroidered artwork - the textures she creates with thread are incredible...

I know I won't even get close to the textures she creates (I'm more of a linear type of gal) but I'll see what I come up with. :)

sweetheartville said...

I love, love your embroidery and your cute blog! I found your vintage transfer blog first, and just now realized it was only a supplement to this fabulous site. Little slow on the draw, there. :) Great stuff--I'm linking to you now!

floresita said...

Thank you! No, it's my fault for not making it clearer - I'm trying to do a better job of linking from blog to blog... so glad you found me! :)