Thursday, April 26, 2007

coming alive...

One of the things that makes long New York winters almost worthwhile is, every Spring, watching things come alive. Everywhere carefully cultivated bulbs burst open underground, always tiny buds on trees and yellow daffodils first. And when it rains, the yellow flowers wear dirty faces:

the rain gave them dirty faces

I'm always inspired by living things - any creature, any bug, any flower, any bird...
On Sunday I shared the park with, um, pretty much everyone in New York. I put my new pastels in a bag and sat on a towel under white cherry blossoms, drawing.

pastel sketch

1 comment:

Olga said...

The only season I like better than spring in New York is fall. For different reasons, but each spectacular in its own way.

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon! I've been playing with pastels for years but have never really figured out how to blend colors very well.