Sunday, May 6, 2007

Happy Mexican napkins

the Happy Mexican napkins

So after a few days of sketching tiny doodles I stitched up these napkins. I bought a set of 12 cotton napkins at Bed Bath and Beyond for 9.99. They're sturdy and perfect for embroidery, and feel almost like twill. And yes, for some reason I imagine all Mexican food to have skinny little legs and smiley faces... :)

Senor tamale

Ever had a tamale? I had to use my imagination to embroider a lump of masa and a corn shuck... :) And the words above are a silly joke my dad always tells us... click on the picture to read the next line!

Mr. Chile

I had to Google this expression to make sure I got the spelling right... here's what we say in my house when we eat too much chile and have steam coming out of our ears... :)

quesadilla complete

Lastly, here is Mr. Quesadilla, complete with embroidered cheese oozing out from the edges. Mmm... ever had a quesadilla made with 2 corn tortillas and cheddar cheese? I'm hungry now...

9 comments:

Olga said...

Oh, my god. I think I'm gonna die from the cuteness. I love them all!

Raesha D said...

These are adorable!!! I could live on tamales...yum yum yum!!! Good thing I live in NM and really could eat them everyday if I wanted. I love these napkins...you did an awesome job!

cinderelly said...

these are wonderful! and now you have made me hungry! i love quesadillas for breakfast (and lunch, and snacktime!) i'm the only one in the house that will eat the corn tortilla though! that's o.k...like my grampa always said, "mas queda!"

Scribbles & Bits said...

These are so cute! Now I'm eagerly anticipating more pictures of the beautiful sad girl!

floresita said...

Thanks Olga - maybe my dizzy attacks were just a result of having excruciatingly cute visions of Mexican food! ;)

Oh Raesha I am SO jealous. I haven't had a decent tamale since last Christmas! :(

He he, cinderelly, quesadillas rock. My mom makes the best, of course. :)

Thanks scribbles & bits, for whipping me into shape! I have another project cooking simultaneously, but you'll see sad girl soon! :)

ellia said...

hahahahahahaha SO LOVELY!!!!!! yayyy for hispanic art and goods :)

Alexandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexandra said...

I love your blog...these are so adorable! Muy lindo.

Stitchado said...

my goodness flor!, these are just adorable :)