Saturday, May 12, 2007

the Mexican Embroidery Extravaganza

all together now...

Now that I've packed this up and mailed it I finally feel ok to blog about it. You've already seen pieces of the package I sent to my sis... I stitched 2 placemats with vintage Vogart boy and girl designs, and the 4 happy Mexican napkins. The girl you've seen here, but here's a closeup of the boy:


up close

Over at the Flickr Embroidery group (which I admin with several awesomely crafty ladies) somebody started a thread about how embarassed they are by the backs of their embroidery. It seems at some point in life we've all encountered the "Needlework Police" who unceremoniously flip our embroidery over and pooh-pooh if it doesn't look perfectly neat. To the esteemed Needlework Police we replied with a Show Us Your Backside post to honor everyone's backside, neat or not. And also, to the Needlework Police, I'd like to respond: "take that!" Just have a look at my not-so-neat backside and see if I care! ;)


the backside, as promised

Notice how the Senorita has a pink goatee when you flip her over? Relax, old school stitchers. Who cares if it's not perfect? It's the back. :)

7 comments:

Tara said...

Your stitching is SO beautiful!! And I love your color combinations for the boy and girl.

Pam said...

Very beautiful! I, too, fret about the backside of my stitching. The main reason I was so happy with my last embroidery project is that it was soooo neat and clean on the backside (forget the front!).

Do you know if there is something to iron over the backside stitching to protect it? I thought my mother-in-law did something like this, but I never see any mention today.

Scribbles & Bits said...

Those look really great! And I'm with you on the backside. It's the back, for heaven's sake! And sometimes you just can't help that it's not going to look as nice.

floresita said...

Thanks Tara!

Thanks Pam - I personally don't worry about the backside. I think some people use iron-on interfacing to "cover-up", but I kind of like the messy texture!

Thanks Scribbles & Bits - I'm with you! It's the back!

Mary said...

Lucky sister you have!! These are absolutely adorable, with wonderful color choices and incredible detail. I'm impressed...even your backs are not that bad!

Michele /Zzah said...

those are so nice! I LOVE old embroidery patterns too. I've always wondered about the backs too, but kinda liked they way the looked. I think I was always worried the stitches might come undone or something... but I stopped worrying about that after I tried to remove some stitches and realized they aint goin nowhere! :)

LimonVerde said...

The mexican man and the dancing women are just great, the details you can add your craft with embroidery is just amazing.