Friday, June 22, 2007

arrival of the Cute Book...

addicted to rounded corners

A couple of weeks ago I was at the local Urban Outfitters, trying to decide if poorly sewn 2 for 25 dollar striped t-shirts were a good deal when my boyfriend held up this book, and I dropped everything and succumbed to the cuteness. If I'd had it my way, the Cute Book would have been mine there and then, but he appealed to my cheapness by saying "It's gotta be cheaper online." So I headed to Amazon, snapped it up for a whole 2 dollars less, and finally on Wednesday, it was mine.


My favorite, hands down, is probably the monkey. I stitched mine without forehead wrinkles, he looks just as serious. Although if things work out and I find fleecy looking fabric, the sheep will dethrone him. They're so easy to make, especially the monkey since his body is all one piece. But I will admit that crafting tiny critters is tricky - if you don't cut things exactly right they can look wildly different from the pictures in the book...



critters

I also discovered Picnik recently, which resulted in a whole lot of rounded corners on my pictures. There are lots of cool features in there, probably the only one they're missing is the ability to add text layers on your photos, but I'm sure that will come in time... It's really easy to spit your finished product over into your Flickr stream, too.



I found myself doing a lot of fun and unnecessary goofing around, including creating an album cover, in case my stuffed creatures ever want to make music:


the critters album cover

In any case, all this helped cheer me up and take my mind off more serious reading I've been doing lately on the murders in Juarez. Years ago I watched a documentary called Senorita Extraviada about the rampant killings and violence against women in Juarez, Mexico. It amazes and saddens me that very little has changed and women and young girls still go missing every day. It also makes me think about the sad girl I stitched a few months ago (finished pics very soon, I promise) - I wasn't thinking about Juarez when I stitched it, but oddly, the words apply so well to how I feel about the violence there...

6 comments:

Patty said...

Your little critters are so cute! I was in Borders last weekend with my sister and saw this book, which I did not get, but have been thinking about since, especially the Terrier near the back.

eydie said...

I have this book! It's on my list of things to do!!!

Scribbles & Bits said...

Very cute creations! I wasn't even aware this book had been translated but I need it now!

And like you, I'm so sad about the women of Juarez. And I'm really surprised that there isn't more awareness on the international level.

Geek+Nerd said...

I minored in Spanish in college, (sadly my language skills are slipping away without practice!), and one of my classmates did a project on the situation in Juarez. It's just horrifying - I could'nt believe it when I learned about it, and it's just as terrible today. I pray that someday things will take a turn for the better down there.

Olga said...

Uh oh. I think I'm going to have to have that book!

And also ditto scribbles & bits' comment about the women of Juarez. Ah! But just wait until J.Lo comes out with her movie version. Tongue is sort of in cheek, but it may be the thing that raises more awareness.

floresita said...

Awww.. thank you all for loving the Cute Book as much as I do, and these critters! :)

And scribbles & bits, geek + nerd, and Olga, I agree it's so shocking how little people know about Juarez! I mean, I grew up in Texas, and was at University at the time these things were happening - I remember seeing "Senorita Extraviada", but not hearing anything else about it!

He he, Olga, I agree that JLo's movie will help - I just hope it gets a wide enough release (and that it doesn't suck). JLO is really significant in the scheme of this story, though - so many young women here and in Mexico were inspired by Selena (I have to admit it was not a bad film) and I hope her movie can be released in Mexico as well - anything to help raise awareness!