Thursday, June 14, 2007

bird and animal obsession

little bird from a bird book

Yes, I'm a bird nerd. I don't remember the names of every bird I see, but I am obsessed with them. Pretty much any bird or animal rocks my world. I'm posting this in an effort to ease into Illustration Friday, which I'm also fascinated with. Okay, it's not Friday, this doesn't fit the theme, and I drew it a year ago. Like I said, I'm easing into the habit of drawing again...


Back to the topic of animals, I really love talking animals:


I discovered the Onion way back when in Texas at a (cough) certain job. A wonderful co-worker showed me this cool site that (back then) looked like an official, reputable news source ok to read at work. Good Onion writers have come and gone, and with all the risque banner ads it's no longer so work-safe. But please read this article if you like talking animals. And let me know if you're like me and you almost peed from laughing so hard.

6 comments:

sarah said...

I really like your bird sketches. The "sketchy" quality of them lends itself well to the subject matter. There is something very fleeting in your drawings.

floresita said...

Thank you Sarah! My drawings used to be extremely "neat" but the older I get the more I enjoy "sketchy" or single lines... I'm so glad you enjoyed my birds! :)

Sprittibee said...

Love the birds. I saw the most amazing bird yesterday here in Arkansas. I almost stopped the car so I could get a better look. It was sitting on a fence post in a very green area covered in ivy. It was small and dark with the most amazing metallic midnight blue color. I hadn't ever seen one like it before. Now I'm going to be scouring the net to find out what kind of bird it was. My children and I like to draw the birds and insects we see also.

Taryn said...

I've been doing a few bird sketches recently as well! Funny how those things tend to coincide, you know? Your birds are gorgeous, I'm not to that level yet, but I have hope!

Can't wait to see more. I'll be extra looking forward to Fridays now!

Rachel (Burb_Mama) said...

That's so funny! I just drew a bird for my daughter a couple of weeks ago - but it is sooooo not good. I am not a draw-ing gal. Give me floss over lead any day.

And the Onion always makes me almost pee my pants. I'd never seen the Goat column, but I was dying laughing when I read it. Now that we have an Onion branch here in Austin, I get to pick up hard copies of it while i'm out and about, and I LOVE that.

floresita said...

Yay, Sprittibee, if I could invent anything it would be a sort of palm pilot bird dictionary: maybe it could identify a bird by electronically matching a song... or a picture... I would be entertained for hours! :)

Awww... thanks Taryn, my sketches are so-so. An old friend of mine used to draw these amazing in-flight sketches of birds... I wish I had one around to show you.

Rachel, looks like we all have birds on the brain... :) I'm so glad you almost peed too! I have some pretty weird humor, but whatever humor it is, it's exactly the same as those weird Onion peeps... :D And as you! :)