Sunday, June 3, 2007

Frida, in parts

my Frida

So here's what had me so busy there was no time for pictures... Ok, I know she looks a bit cutesy for a Frida - it's hard to make something out of felt and have it not look cute, I've discovered, but I had fun with this project nevertheless.



One of my favorite things about felt is how easy it is to convert a simple 2D idea into (almost) 3D form. I also love how the process of crafting has become like drawing to me - I go into a zone that feels very quiet and meditative, and very little of what I do is thought out or planned. I just find myself doing and the entire craft seems to happen - it's very magical...



pieces

So, if you're wondering what this is about, I'm a part of an "exquisite corpse" project in which lots of artists send in handcrafted "parts" that are put together to make a final creature. If I understand correctly, everyone will get a creature of their own, with (I hope) at least one of the parts they made. The whole idea of "parts" made me think of Frida right away, because her life was so affected by her body, which seemed to have been shattered into parts at such an early age...



her back

planning Frida's leg

I did a lot of embroidery on these pieces, and was happy at how quickly it came together - it took me about 3 steady nights of sketching and stitching. I crafted the leg in two parts attached together with red string and buttons to signify when Frida's leg was amputated. It's something about her life that always made me sad to think of, that she died just a year after that happened, incomplete.



All this crafting has made me want to make a complete Frida doll of my own - yet I do find it hard to create for myself...


her heart

The minute I know a project is intended for someone else I go nuts with the details, taking lots of time and care. I think I get a bit sidetracked and uninspired when I just create for myself, though.


I do think my heart has improved from the version I did on the sad girl - I like how the colors and textures worked out on this one, and how quickly it went...

15 comments:

Carina said...

Oh this is fabulous. I especially love the embroidery (d'uh!). And you really must make one for yourself!

I know exactly what you mean; when I'm making something for someone else, I'm full of ideas, but when it comes to making things just for me... I kinda have to force it out!

Laura said...

Wow, that's beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the completed Frida...

Taryn said...

I think I may have already posted a comment on Flickr, but I just have to tell you again how much I love this doll. I really enjoyed learning about Frida Kahlo and love her work so of course I was excited to see your interpretation of her work. My first thought was Frida would love it. The burning heart embroidery came together so well here.

jennicakes said...

I like cutesy Frida! Because I think she was one of those people who excelled at showing her light and dark sides at once, and her art is so rich for it. What an amazing doll!

Scribbles & Bits said...

I hope this doesn't sound weird, but I got a bit teary-eyed when I saw that. Frida was so amazing and I think your work is really a beautiful tribute (can I stop gasping at that heart? I don't think so!). This is just really realy amazing!

hodge podge said...

hi flor! it was so great to meet you at the lotta party and i've been checking out all of your blogs and loving them! the frida doll is amazing. i am swamped right now preparing for Renegade but i look forward to joining the flickr pool and contributing later in the summer... keep in touch! add me to your mailing list if you have one! calAThodgepodgefarm.net

cinderelly said...

i love your frida and her little heart! i just bought another new frida book yesterday. (i have quite a few!) i just adore her! i have been playing with the corazon motif too, i am trying to make labels with it on them. your's is very beautiful!

Mamameo said...

So So incredible. I have been thinking of Frida so much lately and glad that you are too. I love your creation!

Paula said...

Creo que mori de amor con tu Frida, es una belleza! El trabajo esta increible. Felicitaciones!

Mo said...

Just discovered your blog and wanted to tell you how lovely I think your work is.

helle said...

What a fabulous piece. Beautiful heart embroidery too.

jess said...

That is just stunning! I have always been deeply affected by Frida, her life, her art, all the tragedy. This is a beautiful tribute!

floresita said...

What can I say but thank you, everyone! One thing I love about Frida is this magical connection so many of us feel with her - it's a beautiful thing to be the kind of artist that reaches so many people.

You have all inspired me to make a Frida doll of my own, separate from the exquisite corpse project... stay tuned for that! :)

Quietgirl said...

I just gotta say I think you're super cool and I loooove your stuff! :)

Meninheira said...

Es fabuloso lo que haces Floresita, me estoy viendo todo tu blog y me encanta!!