Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Renegade Craft Fair

Yep, Renegade Craft Fair was this weekend, and somehow, I was there both days. It was ridiculously hot, humid, and sticky, but I drank lots of cold water and stuck it out for the cuteness. And oh, was there cuteness:

seen and loved at the Renegade Craft Fair

Sadly, I didn't buy that little guy (made by the talented Meena Kim), but I did vow to be less of a cheapskate this year and actually buy stuff. I found lots of gorgeous letterpress stationery at the Sesame Letterpress booth:

letterpress loveliness

And the cutest hedgehog fabric + velcro wallet at the Seamripper booth:
my sweet wallet

If you're not totally convinced yet, just have a look inside!
look at the inside!

Look at that retro polka dot fabric!!! It was love at first sight, and my biggest Renegade purchase at a whopping 15 bucks. :) It's the perfect size and feels so light and trim in my hands.

Lastly, check out this sweet little notepad I purchased from M. Patrizio:
sweet m. patrizio notepad

Now on to an embarassing observation on craft fairs... Am I the only one that feels weird trying to chat with blogger-crafters? I feel like such a stalker, because I know so much about their lives and the things they make, and they know nothing about me! So even though I vowed that this year I'd be chatty, there I go again, buying my M. Patrizio notepad with a goofy grin on my face and saying nothing. Zippo. Nada. Over at the Black Apple booth, while I'm nabbing a free "Black Apple" pin, how did things go? Internal conversation: "Hey Emily, I feel like I know you so well - just wanted to tell you your stuff is gorgeous and SO inspiring!" External conversation: Blink, blink. Goofy smile. Turn tail and run... Um, am I the only goofball that has these attacks of celebrity blogger shyness?

17 comments:

Keri said...

No, I'd totally feel weird too. But I wouldn't mind people talking to ME so I guess we're just over-paranoid. I'm ALWAYS a little overparanoid though! lol And really, how in the WORLD did you pass up that little cat??!! So freakin' cute!!!

eydie said...

you are so lucky!!! was the show in NY or Chicago? I would love to see some of the bloggers in person!
How did they let you photograph their cat? I get nervous with people with cameras in my booth.....

Laura said...

I sometimes feel shy about leaving comments! If I actually met, say, Alicia Paulson, blinking is all I'd manage as well. :)

You got some really cute stuff! I love the wallet.

capello said...

omg, total cuteness.

floresita said...

Ha ha Keri, I'd feel exactly the same way - I wouldn't mind people talking to me, I just get freaked out about talking to others... Isn't that little creature awesome? I think it was just over my spending limit for the day... :(

Hey Eydie! I went to the Brooklyn (NY) show. It was awesome seeing them in person - you'd probably be much less shy! :) I asked if it was ok to photograph the critter - I would have totally understood if she said "no" but she was really nice about it!

Ha laura - if only you were there so we could blink in concert. :)

Isn't it awesome capello? Here's a link to her Etsy store if you're curious: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7394

valerie said...

I'm the same way. Did you see Lotte Jansdotter there? I stared at her in disbelief - celebrity in our midst! But of course I didn't say anything. I'm a dork.

floresita said...

I've met Lotta before! I was lucky enough to go to a book event in her studio about a month ago and got a free copy of Simple Sewing. She's really nice and easy to talk to and her baby is adorable. But yeah, when I saw her again at Renegade, what did I do? Blink, smile, and run! ;)

Taryn said...

online/blogging relationships are so weird. No etiquette has been developed yet, it's all so new. What on earth does someone say to someone they feel they know like a friend that doesn't know them back? How do you get through the situation of meeting without it getting weird?

I have yet to meet any bloggers in person, but I vaguely remember seeing Alicia Paulson at a craft fair before I even knew who she was. Now I'd be just smiling and blinking as well.

My boyfriend gives me a hard time whenever I talk about something a fellow blogger posted about. It's like I have a million imaginary friends to him. I guess I do!

floresita said...

I agree with you Taryn, it's weird! I'd feel very different, say, with Flickr friends I've shared emails, real mail, and picture comments with over the years... I feel I know them pretty well, and they know me too!

But, you're right, when it's a one-sided knowledge, how can you help feeling voyeur/stalkerish. I compare it to celebrities, because I'd feel the same way about meeting a famous person - what on earth would you say to them that hasn't been said a million times already? :)

lindamade said...

no, everyone has that! i feel like such a goof and then i'm really surprised/flattered when people recognize me, so i think it's better to just put yourself out there! :) i'm going to have a going away party-- i'll email you about it (once i figure out the details!)

mamameo said...

don't feel bad....i've done the same exact thing at the Austin Craft Fair. And you know what, i think it's a-okay.

awesome cuteness.

Anonymous said...

hi there,this is all new to me and i dont really know how it works but just want to say what a wonderful and inspirational site you have,its given me great ideas,if anyone knows where i could find alice in wonderland patterns to embroider i would be over the moon,planning to make a quilt with several alice pictures and then give the qouilt and the book to my niece,grateful for any suggestions and again,fantastic site/blog!!

Scribbles & Bits said...

You bought some really cute stuff!

I've never been to a craft fair, but I think if I ever do meet anyone, I'll be all blinky and run. i have a hard enough time composing comments so I don't sound like a doofus.

jess said...

You ended up with some really fun stuff! I feel a lot better knowing that I'm not the only one who feels like a stalker!

hodge podge said...

flor! i can't believe you came both days and never said 'hi' to me, when we have met before and i'm not even famous so you couldn't have been intimidated ;o) i feel exactly the same way; i always go to My Paper Crane's booth and feel really shy... and every year i regret not buying more too but i'm always too overwhelmed by it all!

floresita said...

Cal, I was determined to say hi to you! Would you believe I looked at every booth both days and didn't find you! Ha ha, yes, I am less intimidated when I've met and talked to someone before! But with other people I don't know I find it hard to start random conversations, I guess! :)

And linda, mamameo, scribbles&bits, and jess, thanks for making me feel a bit less silly! :)

And hey there anonymous person! Thanks for the compliments! I haven't seen any patterns like that, but I'll keep a look out!

Geek+Nerd said...

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I've met a couple of craft bloggers that I admire and could feel my face turning eight shades of red when I tried to stammer out a sentence - it's crazy!