Monday, July 23, 2007

thinking of many things...

in progress

Finally, I am almost done with the "sad girl" I started so many weeks ago. This is the longest running project I've done so far, as either a drawing, painting, or embroidered piece. I put a lot of thought and emotion into this, and like most things that have a very personal meaning only for you, I found that meaning transforming and expanding to suit so many different emotions...

stitching the dress

I wanted to add more texture and complexity, so I stitched the entire dress area in a cream color which unintentionally looks like a dress I used to wear in high school. It was made of shiny beige crocheted threads that were as thin as a spider web - I found it at a thrift store for a few dollars and wore it until it was hopelessly snagged. My wardrobe definitely used to be my favorite form of expression - I'd always find little treasures in thrift stores and wear them proudly - expensive tailored 50's dresses for 2 dollars, couture skirts dug out of clearance bins - everything I wore became a conversation piece, whether I liked it or not. :)

finally, almost done...

Here she is, almost finished - I only need to fill in the roses and the bottom of the dress. I take my time with this because it's become very meaningful to me, especially since I began reading books on the murders in Juarez. Suddenly these words in Spanish took on a new meaning: "Always thinking of you", "Eternally in my heart", and "It hurts me so much."

Murders and injustice like what is occurring in Juarez touch everyone's lives - we are all truly poorer with every young woman who dies violently, there and everywhere. I feel robbed when I read their stories - young women who had dreams, who were hardworking, and whose only fault was probably trust. Young women with features that are familiar to me - with names and faces that remind me of relatives and friends. All these feelings crystallize so clearly for me in this piece, and it was all unplanned, like most connections are...

for my mom

In the meantime, with Fridays off I've had time to catch up on errands - I finally mailed the pillowcase for my mom and a Spanish copy of The Daughters of Juarez, which I just finished reading. My family has always had a firm belief in God, so in mailing this to her, I think of her strength, and how one more person knowing can honor the memory of these women. I didn't have time to take a picture of the other side of her pillowcase, but it was a line from her favorite Psalm, which had also been her mother's favorite Psalm. Sometimes, I think of those words, and that 3 generations of women have said them. I am so grateful for what I have, and can't stop thinking with sadness of the many mothers who miss their children, whose children have gone on before them to that mysterious place where there are no more words...

10 comments:

ellia said...

wow! what a post!!!! first off, your needlework is STUNNING!!!! and to hear the story behind it, makes it even more beautiful!!!! i haven't read in ages and the last book i got was caramelo (sadly, never finished) i tried reading america again (by esmeralda santiago) but with no time, another book lying around... however, you have me wanting to read this one you mentioned... i am sure your mom is quite grateful for what you are sending her!!!!

btw, i nominated you for a rockin' blogger award! your needlework, your subject matter, YOU are an inspiration :)

isabel f. said...

beautiful embroidery!!

floresita said...

Awww shucks Ellia - so sweet of you to nominate me!!! :) I added the title of the book to my post, if you're curious, I feel kinda odd blogging about such a sad topic - but it's been on my mind so much lately. I'd love to read Caramelo - I've always been a big fan of Sandra Cisneros, but have been bad about keeping up with recent stuff...

Thanks Isabel! :)

Jodi said...

I really love your blog Flor. I felt an immediate connection when I first discovered it because my husband is Mexican (from Oaxaca). I met him while living there on a 1 year sabbatical in 2001.

We lost his 18 year old sister last year to very tragic circumstances. Your embroidery and your words in this post really spoke to me because not a day goes by that I don't think about Lulu. I had to get up and leave my desk because it brought tears to my eyes when I read it. Yes I confess to reading this at work!

We should all feel a bit more compassion for Mexican people. Life in Mexico can be full of so much hardship, it's hard for us to understand coming from such privileged countries. The level of corruption is just not acceptable. So many people die needlessly every day and the government turns a blind eye.

floresita said...

Jodi, the words you wrote mean so much to me - it's really hard feeling like you're from "both sides" of the border - my friend and I often talked about the feelings of gratefulness and guilt we feel every day, for everything we have as Americans... So much needs to be done to to change how women are viewed and treated throughout the world - but I guess it wasn't until I started reading about Juarez that I really thought about it!

I feel for you and your family, and I hope time can ease your pain... but yes it was feelings like this I stitched into this piece - I'm so touched that you commented here!

Stitchado said...

wow flor, i'm speechless. i love how everything has come together.

Lolita Blahnik said...

I also feel so bad when I hear about any Juarez story... I feel so close to these young girls, at last I'm just like them, we are all like them...
Beautiful embroidery.

Scribbles & Bits said...

Beautiful embroidery and beautiful post!

floresita said...

Claudia, Lolita, and Scribbles and Bits, thank you so much for commenting on this post - it means so much to me! :)

Belém said...

Que bonito! I love the sad girl embroidery and its inspiration. Her heart it's so beautiful.