Tuesday, August 14, 2007

brief paintings

paints

I haven't painted in years. And granted, when I say I haven't painted in years it kinda gives the impression that it was something I did a lot, over a large period of time, then gave up. Really I only have 3 large-ish paintings, all in acrylic. I just was never a fan of painting. When I took art classes in high school (it was high school and college when I drew the most) my art teacher once commented that I have a linear style while another guy in my class had a "painterly" style. I didn't understand what she was talking about then, but I see it now. I had a kind of rigid way of drawing so it was hard for me to embrace painting.


I drew this in high school, and it's a good example of my non-painterly ways:
some time ago...


In any case, I dabbled a little in painting after college, including this acrylic painting of my abuelito, on watercolor paper:
abuelito


It was terribly frustrating painting, I was clumsy, colors change and move, and yet I feel it freed me up to embrace a "messier style". By the way, my favorite memory of painting was going to a watercolor class with my sister, as a child. I was the youngest of a gazillion kids, with busy parents working full-time jobs, so I was often dragged just about anywhere in the name of babysitting. :) But I loved this painting class - the teacher lived in a rural area in a beautiful old house that smelled of flowers and spices, and it was electrifying sharing this creative time with my older sister. I painted a Dixie cup, which is still my greatest achievement, and I think my sister has it. :)


So yesterday, I bought some gouache paints at lunchtime, and filled in a sketch I'd started in turquoise pen in my moleskine:
lunch painting


It felt wonderful. Ever get that amazing feeling when you're creating something, or doing something for the first time? The sketch was based on a memory - I was thinking of one of my favorite places - libraries, and that rich, mysterious feeling of being surrounded by books. The clothes I remember from college, a little green shirt and black skirt I wore often to class, and burgundy penny loafers. And the words, "it's alright," were from a song I was listening to as I drew. But more than that it describes how I feel about libraries - as a child, no matter how I felt about the world, I could step into a library and feel "it's alright." I'm already itching to do more lunchtime paintings....

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know that amazing feeling exactly. I had painted in college and then didn't for a number of years. When I picked up my paintbrush again, I felt as if the paintings were painting themselves. Maybe it's time I have an art store adventure and become inspired.

Marilyn said...

I hope you post more pictures of your Abuelito painting. I would love to see more of it.

Jenn Maruska said...

I am so glad that you are painting - and sharing your creativity with us. And that it is bringing you happiness : )

Carol said...

Flor, everything you touch turns into something fabulous.

hannah said...

I havent painted for so long, and I dont really draw much either, I used to draw ALL the time as a child. I should buy myself a little moleskin book like you.