Tuesday, August 21, 2007

further monkeying around...

monkey with a guitar

There's something about gray days that inspires me to create things... which may be why I've been so crafty since moving to NY. In any case, we've had a solid streak of gray days filled with rain, drizzle, and chilly breezes, which meant this weekend I cranked out 3 more monkeys. Granted, suspender monkey was almost finished the last time you saw him, but I added a few extra careful touches to his shorts, some tiny buttons, and striped suspenders:

monkey in suspenders

As if that was not enough I quickly popped out this light yellow-green monkey with pink face. She's the softest one yet, made from a well-worn cordurouy jacket that kept me cozy my first 2 years in NY. She's also extra wonky for some reason, with a crazily erratic head, but she still looks cute from certain angles:

so soft

Which brings me finally to.. guitar-playing monkey:


I used an old pair of my boyfriend's cordurouy pants for this guy, but after sewing him up he just had so much personality and looked incomplete. So I quickly whipped up a plush acoustic guitar, complete with a stripey guitar strap that buttons in the back.

This was all done Sunday night while waiting for the latest episode of Flight of the Conchords, of which I've become a full-blown fan. Last episode was hilarious - check it out on demand if you have cable. Here's a song from their site that might make you spit coffee (if you share my weird humor and fondness for toy pianos)... :)


13 comments:

IamSusie said...

My fave song from Flight of the Conchords is "Business Time"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHOSEcmZvG8

"Business hours are over baby." Too funny...

floresita said...

Ah ha ha! I have watched every single episode - last 2 were slightly less funny, but the rest I laughed until I was blue in the face. I, too, love "Business Time!" ;D

Rachel H. said...

OK, first - "chilly"? CHILLY!?!?!?

Don't make me more jealous of living in NYC than I already am. Yesterday, I took a half mile walk with both kids in +100 temps (and humidity to boot). Argh!

The monkeys are just so insanely fun. I can tell they were fun to make, they are fun to look at, and fun to read about! Fun, Fun, Fun! Oh! The buttons, the suspenders, guitar straps and wonky ears! Surely it doesn't get better than that.

Fantastic work! :)

floresita said...

Yes, Rachel, chilly! :) Last night I took a walk in a damp, drizzly 59 degrees! Isn't NY freaky? Just a week ago we were dying of heat + humidity, too! :)

Marilyn said...

Yay! Monkeys in New York! :)

Scribbles & Bits said...

So is the guitar-playing monkey the Lead singer of The Monkees? (and now that I have that theme song stuck in my head....)

Stitchado said...

AH!
Love the monkeys flor, will there be names assigned to these cutes guys?
the one with the guitar is just too cute!
we've had some crazy weather here too, lots of rain, thunderstorms, heat, humidity, tornado warnings, eeek! and did i mention humidity?!... it's so humid i'm currently fighting a fruit fly infestation in my house.

that video clip just cracked me up :))))

Kim said...

The suspendered pants were awesome, but you totally outdid yourself with the guitar! Nice work :-)

Zylo said...

Have you considered spiked collars for the monkeys? I think you should toss that around for a while. Very cute.

rose said...

ok the monkeys seriously rock, esp the guitar, how cute is that? and thanks for the links to "Flight of the Conchords" esp "Business Time" I have to show that to all my friends.....pretty sure its unknown in my part of the world.
Gad I laffed and laffed.....

*BB* said...

I love the monkeys! The suspenders, the guitar, the original touches you add to each one!

Kimberly said...

These are crafty fabulous! I love the one with the guitar.

I'm putting sock monkey fabric from reprodepot.com in my son's quilt.
I think you would dig it.

Ellen said...

that courdory monkey with the wee guitar is crazy adorable! nice work on all of your little monkeys they are a delight to look at :-)