Thursday, August 2, 2007

have monkey, will travel....

And now without further ado - we have a winner:
and the winner is....

Olga of Yo la Tejo! She very graciously offered up her home and felt bananas to Joaquin. As you can see the drawing was handled entirely by the monkeys, and although I'd like to assure you there was no "monkey business", alas, of that I cannot be sure. The monkeys were all quite taken with your comments, but I did notice Joaquin's eyes light up the minute he heard about the felt bananas. And I thought they shuffled the names up really well, but... you know monkeys and bananas... it's hard to tell.


In any case, some of you may be wondering about the elusive Joaquin P. Pickering, particularly why I have no shots of him alone, while there are pictures of Paisley, Alistaire, and Esteban.


Well, quite simply, Joaquin is more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it:

monkey2


To tell the truth, he is pretty bossy about the whole picture-taking process and is forever throwing out comments like: how about more blue filter? As you can see, Joaquin loves working with vintage cameras - his favorite being the Duaflex. He's particularly interested in shooting the indigenous peoples of New York, taking a special interest in the employees of our local deli. He's also a big fan of Joaquin Phoenix, although he admits that being stopped constantly on the street by people saying "you look just like Joaquin" can be "tiresome." He's looking forward to his new home in sunny Austin, and contributing to the simian art scene there.


Here are the results of our final picture taking session or "proper headshots" as Joaquin called them:

Joaquin lomo Joaquin, circa 1895
monkey2 pensive Joaquin

And to all the people who responded to the monkey giveaway, thank you!!! I read and treasured each and every comment - I was amazed at all the little connections I found with each of you - with shows, bands, and movies (and unabashed love of Joaquin Phoenix). Again, I truly wish I had monkeys for all of you, but you never know when the rest of the monkeys may decide to travel next....

11 comments:

Stitchado said...

Congratulations Olga! I love the name of your blog, how clever!...hehe

Flor, thank you so much for the opportunity, it was a lot of fun... i still can't believe i admitted to watching rock of love!...

i really enjoyed reading about Joaquin, he does look bossy, the red scarf makes him look more like a director than a poser, although he does looks very handsome in all his pictures :)

Sara said...

Gosh, your monkeys are absolutely adorable! Too bad I didn't stumble across your blog before the drawing! Well, congrats to the lucky winner!

kalurah said...

I love that you propped your monkeys up on the vintage cameras. I collect them and often use them to prop my cards and sewing projects up.
those monkeys are too cute!

Mel Goodsell said...

A big congratulations Olga :O)

Melx

Monica said...

I love those monkeys! That Joaquin is so fun and as handsome as J.Phoenix;)

SwanDiamondRose said...

i didn't know aboutyour blog until now :) nice!

Scribbles & Bits said...

I love those headshots!!!!

shannon said...

See what happens when I don't keep up with my blog reading for a couple of days? I totally missed out on this drawing! These monkeys are adorable.

Sonnja said...

I love your monkeys, they are cute!
Kind Regards

Sonnja

Violette Crumble said...

I love the way those photos came out.

Anna Betts said...

Haha!
Monkeys AND cameras...in one post?! Are you TRYING to send me over the edge?! What a combination!
Thanks for your comment earlier, it's actually paper that I use in my collages. I'm experimenting with other things like tree bark but yep so far just paper in the blog...
Anna xx