Thursday, August 23, 2007

more lunchtime painting

more lunchtime painting

Yesterday I had one of these odd moments I often have at lunchtime, when listening to music. I'd been stressed out with work thoughts and various things going on lately, but the minute I put on my headphones, it all disappeared. I realized I was incredibly happy, in a strange magical way, the minute I started listening to music. It didn't matter that the sky was gray (because it was gray, for about the 5th day in a row) or anything, really.


So I jotted down the little sketch above and filled it in with paint. And, again, that magical feeling the second my brush touched the paper - it was like the feeling of listening to music, only multiplied by 10. A little electric jolt of pure happiness and excitement, just for me, just in that moment alone...


I'd been feeling happy all rainy week because of a song I'd been listening to over and over again. Ever hear a song once or twice and feel kind of "eh" about it, only to re-discover it later and feel like you're hearing it for the first time? That's how I feel about this Jolie Holland song, which was on a "life soundtrack" swap I did last year on Flickr:


I'm floating with the birds
I'm talking to the weeds
look what you've done to me.

I'm still dressed up from the night before
silken hose and an old Parisian coat
and I feel like a queen at the bus stop on the street
look what you've done to me

It's a beautiful morning in the ghetto
finer than the day before
the ants are crawling over my pants as if to say
they know where the honey is...

It's a such a soft, subtle song that blended in so well with the rainy landscape and made me so happy.


4 comments:

Daphne said...

I'm really confused by that supercomment... but I love Jolie Holland. Glad to see her around.

floresita said...

Ewww. Just nixed that. Thanks Daphne - she's awesome! :)

The Paris Apartment said...

that is the sweetest post. i love your creations!

woof nanny said...

'Life soundtrack' swap? That sounds interesting.

Do you like rock at all? Check out Danielia Cotton (dot com). I used to write CD reviews, so I got exposed to her CD. She deserves to be famous.