Monday, September 10, 2007

adventures in Maine

in Acadia National Park

I spent last weekend in Maine, and although I have plenty of pictures, and drew, and thought a lot, when I got back I was so un-used to blogging (after only 6 days away) that I couldn't put anything together... It's such a gorgeous place, and the coast up north from Portland to Bar Harbor reminded me of California, all the mountains and woods and cool air...



from the top of Cadillac Mountain

What can I say but that all of it was beautiful. Even the one misty rainy day, when the clouds crept down the mountainside so mysteriously and the beaches were cool and drizzly.



We spent a lot of time in antique shops, poking through cool, dusty basements finding old rag dolls, embroidery, goofy paintings and samplers:


big eyes

I loved the many brightly colored dolls with button eyes, some so delicately stitched and wearing jewelry:




My favorite was the quiet you only find in the woods, and the small surprises in the secret-looking trails:


smiling dragonfly

In Portland, we walked around the quiet old port area and I was in awe of the beautiful slate tombstones in the Eastern Cemetary:




And down in a park, on our last day, le Carotte (who had secretly stowed away) enjoyed the flowers:


relaxing in the park

3 comments:

Melinda said...

What a happy dragonfly!

Lolita Blahnik said...

I'm totally in love with the firs picture, Maine looks amazing!

Sprittibee said...

Love the monkey with the dandelion on his collar. Love that tombstone, too. I'd love to visit there.

Would you like to donate a monkey to the best crafty mom at the homeschool blog awards? We would be honored to showcase you on the HSBA website as a prize awarder in the sidebar if you do.

I love your needlework! You are a talented artist and have a great eye for photos.