Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dia de las Muertas

Sad girl embroidery complete

I've been wanting to show you the finished Sad girl for some time, but I never found the right moment. Now, with Dia de los Muertos upon us, I think this is the perfect time to show you Sad girl.


As you can see I pulled the fabric tight over wooden stretcher bars and stapled it in place (thank you Staple gun - a fabulous invention). I added little details here and there, like filling in the dress completely with chain stitch, filling in the roses, and adding French knots around the pajaritos:


pajarito on the left pajarito on the right

I also added lots of white French knots to the bottom of her dress:


me duele tanto!

Why do I think this is a good time to show you Sad girl? Right after I began stitching her, I began reading books on the Juarez murders, one of which I recommend to all of you called Daughters of Juarez by Teresa Rodriguez. It's a sad book, with no happy ending, but what is sadder is that terrible violence toward women is still occurring every day in Juarez, unchecked, and it is spreading to other cities in Mexico like Chihuahua City. Very young, poor women are abducted in broad daylight, are raped and murdered, and their bodies dumped in public places. Families who try to find their children are met with indifference from the police and organizations who try to help them receive death threats. Worse still, Mexico has a 14 year statute of limitations for murder convictions, so since these killings began in the early 90's the 14 year date is approaching and unsolved cases will be closed.


I know it's a heavy topic for my otherwise happy crafty blog, which is why I waited for Dia de los Muertos. I would like to suggest, if any of you have time, to think of these women on this day when in Mexico we think of all our loved ones who have passed on. These women were loved and cared for, and many of them made the TV remotes you use to change channels or put together your stereos.


I'd like to offer this little bird design as a free pattern for anyone who opposes the Juarez violence, or violence against women in general. The words in Spanish are "Piensa en Mi", or "Think of Me" and you are welcome to embroider this or place this image on your blog in remembrance of the women of Juarez and all the mothers who are still searching for their children:


bird

I wish you all happiness on this day and may all the memories you have of your loved ones bring you joy and not sadness. I promise more happy posts very soon!

16 comments:

Mamameo said...

I absolutely love your sad girl. Wonderful work. And I placed your free pattern on my blog. Thank you for reminding me about something that I have forgotten.

Cupcakes & Yoga said...

Beautiful work and writing. I've known about the Juarez incidents for some time now and I'll read articles about it and it drives me mad. I can't understand how things like this could happen.

Not to stir a whole debate, but it really makes you think about the current immigration situation especially with Mexico where you have to think about who is coming here if they're coming from a place where killing women seems to be acceptable. It's very scary.

Marilyn (pulp sushi)

floresita said...

Thanks mamameo, for your visit, for your sweet words, and for linking here! :)

Marilyn, it's true - I know immigration is so controversial, and there are always going to be so many arguments for and against, but most illegal immigrants come from such dire situations, living conditions you wouldn't wish on anyone and I can understand why they'd want to try to improve their situations, no matter what the cost. And yes, the Juarez issue gives it another twist since in these murders it's clearly poor people who are expendable. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now! Thank you for leaving a comment! :)

Jodi said...

Your sad girl is very beautiful...we will remember all these young women for Dia de los muertos. Thanks for sharing the embroidery design.

Catherine Black said...

This is so moving; a delicate yet sad piece. Your stitchwork is just perfect. Thanks for sharing this.

Stitchado said...

Flor
as always your work is amazing, what a lovely gesture. every time i read or watch reports on tv about these pour women and their families it makes me so sad, because these women come from a very poor background and their families do not have any resources to hire investigators or file lawsuits or means to bribe the government so they can get answers or some sort of closure. it breaks my heart every time i see a story from Juarez because many of these women that have been abducted haven't been found. thanks so much for talking about it flor because not a lot of people know about this.

Chris Salley said...

love it.

life in yonder said...

Me encantó leer este post. Está bien poder escribir de cosas serias, y mas cuando son tan importantes. Tu cuadro es muy bonito ya en si mismo, pero con el sentido que le has dado en tu post es aun mas bonito. Pensamientos para las mujeres desafortunadas en Mexico y en todas partes del mundo desde aqui...

Estefanita said...

Now I understand the look on your face when we were discussing Mex. and S.America the other day. I'll check out that book.

Much Love!

Stitcher S said...

I love your beautiful stitching and your tribute to the poor ladies lost in Mexico.

I first learned of those murders years ago. How very tragic.

Trabajo mucho con las mujeres y ninos ( I can't seem to use my character map here for the tilde o acento) de ese pais lindo...Mexico...y me siento muy triste pensar en las vidas perdidas en Juarez, y en otras partes del mundo tambien. (Hablo espanol como segundo idioma por eso disculpe los errores por favor.)


It's a very deep subject, but I'm glad you talked about it, Flor.

As for immigrants of any kind, I've known many and been in their homes as a guest. The ones I've known have been lovely, caring people who only wanted a better life for their children. They have all loved the simple things in life, and have been extremely kind to me.

Again, your stitching is stunning. If I had more time I would stitch the design up for a few of my cherished adult students who are from Mexico.

Cuidate, Sue

Geek+Nerd said...

Your finished sad girl is so lovely, Floresita! I grew up studying Spanish language and culture from junior high, all the way through college, and the Juarez murders have always given me the shivers. It's so horrifying that after 14 years that it continues on. Thanks for the free pattern - I'm sure I'll find a special space to display it!

arabella cucumber said...

oh...this and all your work is completely and inspirationally exquisite, both as a piece of art and as a powerful message. Its things like this that make me love blogspot. I had never heard about this issue before, and I have also never seen stitch work like this. Beautiful.

Frizz said...

WOW!! Beautiful. You are an inspiration.

wazz said...

your sad girl is a very moving memorial of a truly horrific situation. This weekend I shall embroider your little bird and remember those poor women.

purejuice said...

thank you, this is beautiful, and i think it is of a piece with a lot of the processing of emotion people do while stitching. there's a great quote from a woman looking at a quilt she worked on throughout the early part of her children's lives, and her life is in the stitches. she can recall the fights with her husband when she looks at this part, the not-always-happy parts of life the passed through as she kept working.
this post reminds me of that, aside from the deaths of our hard-working sisters. thanks.

karen said...

Hi. Your blog was recommended to me by Green Bean Baby. I am so glad I visited. I am from England and had no idea about this tragic situation, your beautiful embroidery is a sensitive, appropriate an dignified tribute to these women.