Thursday, November 15, 2007

it's that time again...

it's that time again...

Pull up a pink plastic plate and have some cake - if we're in luck its my mom's white cake with homemade lemon frosting. (Ok, I can't remember what cake I had, but that is my favorite). Late 70's t-shirts optional.

Warning: if you don't feel like smiling you might get tickled just before they whip out the camera:

I love this so much
I have lots of happy birthday memories, although as you get older, you tend to not want to think about it more and more... The weather is always crappy, even in Texas I usually got a gray or rainy day. It always seems to be a busy time at work or (back in the day) at school. But something always happened to make me feel special, sometimes big things, sometimes small. My mom usually began the day singing me "Las MaƱanitas" and my dad (an operatic tenor-bass) would typically chime in. Even as a grown-up they still leave singing messages for me.

My sister always sends me parcels of goodies - she knows me very well, and all year long hoards little things she knows I'll love. As a kid, one of my favorite memories is of a surprise party my mom threw me in the 2nd grade - she'd called up my teacher and found the names of all my classmates and I was delighted as the doorbell rang all afternoon and familiar faces swirled around.

But my favorite (and only) party as an adult was my 27th - my best friend threw me a huge party at her house, and I got to hear "Happy Birthday" sung by many drunken revelers whose names I did not know. (I still owe you for that one, Steph). In short, I am blessed, and every time my birthday rolls around I am reminded of how many beautiful people and things can be found in this world. Pull up a chair, have some cake, and may all your birthdays be as great. :)

12 comments:

IamSusie said...

Happy Birthday Floresita! November is a great month for a birthday!

Stitchado said...

¡Feliz CumpleaƱos Floresita!
i hop e you have a great time even if the weather is crappy. that cake looks so good, i'm now craving cake for lunch...mmmm... lemon frosting.....

have a great day!

Olga said...

Happy birthday, Floresita! Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories with us. My mom always calls first thing in the morning and sings Las Ma~nanitas; she used to play it from an old record, but I think that vinyl has seen better days. :-) Wishing you a lovely day!

Catherine Black said...

Happy Birthday! I love your photos, especially the one with you and your mother - you both look so happy. Hope you enjoy your day! x

Jodi said...

Feliz Cumpleanos Flor! Hope it was a good one!

Rebekah said...

Hope you had a wonderful day. Happy Birthday.

Geek+Nerd said...

!Feliz Cumpleanos Flor!

Daphne said...

Happy belated birthday!

Carol said...

Better late than never?
Happy birthday friend! I hope you had a great day and I'm sorry I missed it.
Your mom's cake sounds yummy :)

Estefanita said...

I would throw you a billion more parties if I could!!

Stitcher S said...

Belated Birthday Wishes, Floresita!

I hope it was a happy one. I love seeing the photo of you with your mama and it's dreamy thinking of that cake with the lemon frosting.

Take care, Sue

Tera said...

AWWWWWWWW Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Estos son las mananitas...