Friday, January 11, 2008

come paint with me!

First of all, a quick "sorry" if you're bored by painting, but if you are interested, come paint with me! I very rarely work with paints, something I tried to change recently with my lunchtime paintings (done during my 1 hour lunchtime). So far I've only worked on paper, EVER, so I want to invite you to share my first canvas painting with me.

Here are my acrylic paints, inherited from my generous boyfriend 4 years ago who had them left over from a painting class. These are all the colors I used:
my boyfriend's acrylic paints

Now, onto the painting - I used canvas pad so I wouldn't feel bad if I made mistakes my first time around. I gleefully set up my painting corner, using a shower curtain as a drop cloth, and lined up my paints, brushes, tray, water, Ipod, and moleskine:
starting off

I did the background first (remembering this vaguely from a pastel portrait class and not even knowing if it applies to painting), using mostly red with a smudge of blue.

I HATED the color I came up with:
just the background

It was so drab and unimpressive, so I covered it with many succeeding coats of different variations of red.

Now let's skip ahead 5,000 steps:
skip ahead 5,000 steps :)

I was so engrossed in painting I didn't stop to take progress shots. Those of you who paint, draw or craft will know what I'm talking about. It's the stage where you look at something, hate what you see, and keep working and reworking it. You go from having a general plan and specific colors in mind to just randomly grabbing paint bottles and creating all kinds of combinations, without thinking. This is the part of my personality I've always found most difficult to explain - the instinctive part - I feel like I hoard ideas, colors, and pictures in my mind and at random moments they just emerge. I don't literally know what I'm doing, but on some level, there's a part of me that knows, and just does... yes it's quite silly to try explaining, but I tried. :)

There's my paint tray:
Just look at the paint tray

I added many layers of pinks and unbleached titanium to the background until I was happier with it. Also some very light lights and shadows on the monkey. :)

Here's Siegfried's scarf drying:
his scarf is drying

Last detail added- Rosy cheeks:
detail of the rosy cheeks

And that's it - there's my first canvas painting ever, so far (with my toes making a clandestine appearance in the mirror):
Almost done

When the canvas pad began to buckle under the wet paint I tacked it to a wooden stretcher frame to keep it taut. So far, I love the experience - using new brushes I'd never think I'd love - like a long handled, stiff bristled brush on the background.

What do you think of my first canvas painting? What details should I add when I finish it this weekend? :)

7 comments:

Average Jane Crafter said...

So cool! I love seeing your paintings, and this is just so cool. Maybe you can combine your arts and do the sweet facial features in embroidery? ...... :) Can't wait to see it. ~rach

Marilyn (Pulp Sushi) said...

I wish I could paint but that is my boyfriend's department. Your little babies are coming out so cute!

Jenne said...

So cool! Thanks for sharing your progress! I love the idea of embroidering the features. I can't wait to see if and how you fill out the white space on the edges.

Mamameo said...

OOh, I can't wait to see the rest of it!

cara said...

Your excitement just comes right through the computer screen. Hope it continues to bring you this joy.

Jennifer said...

I love taking this adventure with you. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

g said...

I love how your painting is developing! You're so brave to share the process with everyone...{I'm nervous to try painting myself.} You're such an inspiring blogger!