Wednesday, January 30, 2008

lunchtime paintings

lunchtime painting: c'est moi
Yesterday I did this little watercolor sketch during lunch - as usual, this monkey seems to be speaking French, and is quite romantic. How do you like his little scarf? I'm particularly happy with that, and the little red hearts in the background. The little phrase above his head is "c'est moi qui t'aime vraiment", in English "I'm the one who really loves you." Odd phrases like this sometimes pop into my head for no reason and I Google them to see where I got them. I think I've seen so many films and read so many novels that it's hard to know where my ideas come from...

I'm excited to say I began my first (and so far only) New Year's resolution today - I joined a new group called 365 Sketch. I want to see if I can really sketch something every single day... the reason I'm trying it is often I waste a lot of time because I don't "feel like" drawing, but when I just sit down and do it, it's always so pleasant.

Like today, for example, I didn't have any specific idea in mind, but I was thinking about the cute dark-eyed juncos I saw in the park early this morning. I did a couple of quick sketches while looking at online photos, and later at lunch, turned them into small paintings:
sketch of a bird lunchtime painting: dark-eyed junco

My second sketch I painted right over my drawing:
lunchtime painting: slate colored junco

It was a cool, mucky day which got really chilly towards evening. I took a quick walk alone to grab dinner and loved the way the cold air made me quicken my step and my heart underneath my wool coat seemed to flutter in the chill. There were few people on the streets, which made me peer into the windows of chic hotels I passed by. I was charmed when someone actually got chatty with me in the elevator - I find it so refreshing when people take the time to talk, and I'm often so overwhelmed I'm not sure what to say. In this case I was asked what I was eating for dinner, and I think I beamed in response as I said "tacos."

7 comments:

Stitchado said...

floresita!
i'm in love with this monkey :)
i think this monkey painting is so far my ultimate favorite! it's super sweet, i love that you use french phrases which make them even more adorable. *sigh*

mmmm... tacos!

floresita said...

Thank you dear Claudia! :) I plan to re-visit this monkey with acrylics and canvas this weekend - then I'll compare and see which version I like better... :)

Jenne said...

I really enjoy your lunch time paintings. I think it's partly the immediate gratification, and knowing you created something so sweet so quickly.

Love the birds!

Your writing about your chilly evening takeout is beautiful. :)

Susie said...

Floresita, I just finished reading the entire page down to the photo of your niece. I feel relaxed and renewed now, there is such a feeling of relief and joy to see others who look 'metaphorically speaking', like me. To breathe in and breathe out color, to delight in the viscosity of watercolor or gouche. I feel like an old friend even though we've never spoke. I have admired your crush of embroidery patterns for months now and it is because of that energy that I now have five yes you heard right five BIG binders with patterns. I'm enjoying this new love for embroidery. I'm tenderly nurturing myself, like starting a roaring fire in the fireplace it all starts with those skinny little shreads of wood. I've been teaching myself one stitch at a time. I do one pattern completely in that stitch then start another.My life is so much more exciting because of you and your passionate expressions of art. Un abrazo, Susie ps try to never buy a cheapo paint brush it's not worth it-really!

Susie said...

Floresita, I just finished reading the entire page down to the photo of your niece. I feel relaxed and renewed now, there is such a feeling of relief and joy to see others who look 'metaphorically speaking', like me. To breathe in and breathe out color, to delight in the viscosity of watercolor or gouche. I feel like an old friend even though we've never spoke. I have admired your crush of embroidery patterns for months now and it is because of that energy that I now have five yes you heard right five BIG binders with patterns. I'm enjoying this new love for embroidery. I'm tenderly nurturing myself, like starting a roaring fire in the fireplace it all starts with those skinny little shreads of wood. I've been teaching myself one stitch at a time. I do one pattern completely in that stitch then start another.My life is so much more exciting because of you and your passionate expressions of art. Un abrazo, Susie ps try to never buy a cheapo paint brush it's not worth it-really!

Susie said...

oops, sorry for the repeat. I was struggling in the preview mode. Oh well-I'm such a tech neophyte.

floresita said...

Thank you Jenne! :)

Thank you so much Susie - your writing is just as beautiful as the sweet things you said - I'm happy you enjoy this blog and the things I love to do - I'd love to see your work too! :)