Wednesday, January 9, 2008

new watercolors

my new watercolors

I forgot my gouache paints at home a few days ago and found myself eyeing up the paints in a nearby bookstore. After much deliberation (which included: taking them down, staring at them, putting them back, staring at them) I finally decided to buy them. They were pricey (for cheap me) so I only bought the basics. But I had to come back the next day, goofball that I was, because I'd forgotten to buy black, so I snapped up 3 more colors in the process.

I love comparing the different textures of paints, pastels, pens and pencils. Each medium is like another country with a foreign language, new customs to learn, and new tools. Watercolor is so different from gouache and acrylic - it dries differently - looks so silky and majestic when it's wet, and certain combinations yield unexpected colors.... I also bought some cheapo paintbrushes and I was ready to go.

minis

I'd been planning my paintings since the day I found these lovely embroidery thread cards. I printed them on the back of an old manila file folder, and while they were sitting there, waiting to be trimmed down to size, tiny monkey portraits miraculously appeared....

I used the tiny thumbnails as inspiration for yesterday's lunchtime painting, entitled Siegfried the Romantic:
Siegfried closeup
As you can see Siegfried is quite romantic and also speaks French.

Then, today at lunch I painted Filbert (or Filiberto, as his Spanish friends call him):
Filbert closeup
Filbert is quite enamored with valentines.

In defense of their wonkiness they are quite small, here they are in my moleskine:
lunchtime painting - Siegfried lunchtime painting - Filbert

It was so much fun painting these, and toying with the elaborate frames - I had no intention of rendering every detail but just kind of filled in general areas. I also made notes on a few of my color combinations at the bottom.

Do any of you love knowing the names of colors? As a kid, the only thing even more rapturous than coloring with the huge box of crayons was reading all the names. Then I'd go around freaking my parents out, telling them the sky was periwinkle or cornflower. In keeping with this weird habit I bought that tube of purple solely for the name: Dioxazine Violet. Isn't that a gorgeous name? Sort of like a disease or a shady comic book character... :)

4 comments:

CalicoDaisy said...

Thanks for directing us to the thread cards. Those are great! They would be good to make up and wrap with thread and send as an embroidery swap gift. I have enjoyed following your monkey stories. I am enjoying your art and your embroidery. Yours was one of the first blogs I read after I understood what a blog was. That was July, I think. I've been blogging and swapping big since August. You picked one of my embroideries in October as a favorite for the Halloween challenge. I had the purple wool felt pin with the owl. I was so surprised to see that one day when stopping by "feeling stitchy" and was very pleased. Thanks -- Michele http://calicodaisy.blogspot.com/

Sid Simpson said...

I got hooked on making those cards- Celtic clip art motifs for myself, of course. Now, I see your fantastic paintings "framed" in them and I am inpsired yet again. Thank you so much for the wonderful idea!

Sid Simpson said...

I got hooked on making those cards- Celtic clip art motifs for myself, of course. Now, I see your fantastic paintings "framed" in them and I am inspired yet again. Thank you so much for the wonderful idea!

homebase said...

Gee these were fun, thanks for sharing. They were so easy and so many to a sheet. I love the file folder idea too.