Wednesday, February 13, 2008

clean dishes, dirty dishes, lazy day

dirty dishes clean dishes

Yes, you're right, that's actual embroidery on my embroidery blog! :) It's been awhile since I sat down for a real embroidery project, and after getting used to the instant gratification of drawing I kept asking myself, "Um, why do I like embroidery?" Nevertheless, I started off Sunday by cutting out a slew of little monkey-shaped heads and faces from fabric scraps, and choosing my favorites for the towel:


many faces

The monkey towel says "clean dishes" on one side and "dirty dishes" on the other - I thought it would be great to hang outside the dishwasher accordingly, since 90% of the time I'm too lazy to unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher... :)


breakfast

I love days off. Like yesterday, a wonderfully unexpected holiday. I love to do as little as possible, watch a few old movies out of the corner of my eye while making myself breakfast and snacks. Yesterday it snowed lightly all day and I kept popping out of the apartment to run errands, but mostly it was to enjoy the snowfall. I went to the craft store to re-stock my favorite colors of floss and felt.


This particular craft store (there are sadly few in Manhattan) is in Chinatown, tucked away in a back alley behind an art supply. You would never know it was there unless someone told you. The buildings in the alley are old, grimey, and covered with graffiti. Like most sewing and craft stores in Manhattan it is dusty, decrepit, flourescent, and makes me feel like I'm standing in the Woolworth craft section in 1987. In short, I love it. :) To top it off, the same nice young man is always behind the register, always comments on my smile and always gives me a discount.


little spools

For no particular reason, I bought these cute little wooden spools and wound my embroidery floss around them. I love all of these colors, and they just seem to look nicer this way....



day 8 of Sketch 365: a girl

I've mostly been sketching every day - I'd say maybe every other day. Last week I didn't paint anything very interesting, and I really hated most of what I did on this page of my sketchbook. All except this tiny thumbnail above, which I love so much.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, I love the little green monkey face. So cute....

I think I will get up tomorrow and make heart shaped pancakes for my son. He loves a hot breakfast.

Frizz said...

Love the color and fabric combos of the monkies towels.

g said...

The towels are so cute! And I love those little spools of thread...

Drewzel said...

I do that with my floss too!
Any chance of pics of the ancient craft store?

I love your drawings :)

kitty stitch said...

hello, your monkey design is just gorgeous!! very inspiring!

jess said...

What a great idea for tea towels! Sometime this year I would love to host a tea towel swap, it's on the list of things to do. I had to smile when I saw your spools. A while ago I bought a slew of old wooden spools on ebay and wrapped all my floss on them. They're so pretty in the glass jar on the piano, but a areal pain to get to when I'm looking for a color!