Wednesday, February 20, 2008

update on sketches

day 10 of 365 Sketch: today's painting

Here are today's lunchtime sketches. I used a Micron pen to do some quick outlines, then filled them in with my watercolors. I was in the rather boring staff cafeteria, with not much to look at, so I sketched a nearby trash can, red plastic chair, and sugar jar, then wrote underneath "everyday things of not much beauty." Oddly, I realized that after painting them, I did find beauty in their colors, lines, and everyday-ness. I also sketched a singular eye, then later an unrelated nose and mouth...


Then I sketched a female face near the words:
everyday things

Perhaps it's odd, but everytime I draw a female face from my imagination she looks sad or worried. I'm never sad or worried as I draw them, nor do I plan to make them sad or worried, but I do find beauty in their expressions... I really love this drawing, but her face isn't the most symmetrical or beautiful, so I enjoyed the unplanned irony of the words that sit next to her...


I wasn't a fan of yesterday's painting:
day 9 of 365 Sketch: yesterday's painting

I was in a crabby mood and I think that was reflected in these less than stellar efforts. :) Those two monkeys with hearts were a painting I was planning to give my boyfriend for Valentine's day but they never got past the sketch stage.


But I did enjoy this little chocolate-y brown monkey:
brown guy


Hope the cold weather is treating you well - it's freezing here! I'm getting rather tired of itchy tights, scratchy scarves, and skulking about in my wool coat, how about you? :)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I really like both of your blogs. I have been reading this one for a while now and just realized you have another one with patterns on it. Now I have another blog to look at! I love your water colors and all the past embroidery posts. I just started a blog and have a few of my embroidery projects on there, if you would like to check it out.

Noble Beast Natural Market for Pets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

absolutely beautiful - your style is so unique and so filled with personality. i always love seeing your work!

kristin
http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome/

painted fish studio said...

i love your sketches! i really should try something similar over my lunch hour, instead of rotting my brain with gossip web sites...

and yes. i am sick of winter. so sick of it. today it took me 1 hour to drive 8 miles in 1/2 inch of snow. ARG.