Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sketches, mail happiness, and musings on music videos

day 12 of 365 Sketch: magazine sketches

Here's my latest at-work watercolor sketches, they're not spectacular but were fun to do. I began these one night before going to bed, when on a whim I sketched faces in a fashion magazine. I used to do this all the time (you can find lots of cheeseball pencil renderings of Kate Moss, Amber Valetta, and Shalom Harlow in my high school sketchpads). :) Yes, it feels silly, but you've got to start somewhere... See that Marylin Manson look-alike on the lower right? Totally unintentional - she was actually supposed to be a beautiful woman. Sometimes the mistakes are so funny they're worth it. :)


My favorite was this one, although I rendered the cheeks quite goofily and badly:


I still find something lovely about her. Then, in the mail more than a week ago was some sweetness from my sister (also some sweetness from Cal and my dear niece - thank you ladies, pictures of that later!)


from my sister

I think I've mentioned my sister is an artist and a painter. She has a dayjob, but I think art and crafts are her passion. She's a wonderful, kind person, 1000 times kinder than I could ever be - she has this gift for volunteering and helping people. In any case, she's been selling hand-painted items for awhile now at craft fairs, and here's a piece she sent me. I absolutely love the colors and the polka dots! She also sent me some shoes, which are adorable. However, the brown ones just weren't working on my (let's face it) fat feet.


So I performed a shoe rehab with a pair of sharp scissors and sheer determination. Here's the before and after:
shoe rehab



And now, back to some more sketch updates, this time in my new watercolor Moleskine:
day 13 of 365 Sketch: faces


And finally my favorite recent watercolor sketch:
day 14 of 365 Sketch: a song


I do admit she was better before I filled her in with watercolor - I'm still clumsy, but every day I'm getting better. The words to her right come from a song that's been stuck in my head ever since my boyfriend started playing "Guitar Hero". I'd never heard this song before and I've gotten quite attached to it. I'm torn about the video, which I kind of want to share with you and kind of don't. I love it because, surprise - there's Mexicans in it! It may sound silly but I love the video for that fact alone, and it does have some wonderful moments (and some very cheeseball ones). And yet I don't want to share it with you because it wasn't what I was picturing at all when I heard the song, and so it kind of ruined it for me.


But what I was thinking when I wrote that phrase off to the side of my drawing - I thought about that first moment of love, probably your first love, when you look at this person and think to yourself they are everything, absolutely everything in the world to you. By the way, do you ever wonder who comes up with the ideas for music videos? Truthfully, most of them I really don't care for - I hate it when they're too literal and "show you" exactly what's happening in the song. That always feels like a visual pun to me, it makes me want to groan out loud. How much do you think actual bands have to do with their music videos - is any of it their idea? I wonder about strange things like that a lot...

11 comments:

Chris Salley said...

I think some videos are half done by artist and half one by someone that the band never meets. This video was shot in my back yard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7a181rYGw

Chris Salley said...

Love your drawings too!!!

floresita said...

That video is awesome - thank you so much for sharing it with me! The words, the style, the song, the tiny bit of humor - everything was perfect!

And this was in your backyard? I love being friends with musicians - I always get all goose-pimply when they perform. Thank you so much for dropping by and your kind comment about my drawings... :)

Stitchado said...

i love all the watercolors, i love the two portraits next to each other but i'm intrigued as to how you fixed your shoe!? i see the difference but i just can't imagine how you did it :)

Stacy A. said...

Floresita, your vintage patterns page is wonderful. I will be a constant visitor from now on. You mentioned on my blog you'd like to see my finished embroideries. I just posted the latest one. I think they are all Vogart, but one may not be. I'm on to the last one now. Thought I would let you know...and thanks for the lovely comment. Stacy

muralimanohar said...

Some bands have total input, some bands have someone else picking everything, and some bands have submissions, and choose the one they like best. :p The Killers do that one. BTW, The Making Of....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IBeU2UMJwE

Aside from all that, love your watercolors! I keep thinking I would love to try learn, but I kind of suck, and end up feeling like it was a waste of time. I should try again!

emily said...

that song makes me feel the same, like promises of past loves an photos that have faded slightly. Love the painting too...

painted fish studio said...

i just love your drawings. you're great inspiration (oh hey, why is the tv on and the laptop on my lap?! i should be sketching, too!)!

Monica said...

Lovely watercolors and the shoe looks super. how did you do that?!

Elizabeth said...

I really love your watercolors and all your embroidery! I agree with you on the killers video. I like some of their songs,but sometimes it doesn't match the song. I have a love, hate relationship with The Killers.

kalurah said...

Oh my gosh, those shoes....what a great idea. Did you sew a seam around the inside after you cut them?