Sunday, March 30, 2008

Painting and thinking of movies

day 19 of 365 Sketch: thinking of movies

Whew! It's been a busy week! Hi there, if you found your way here from Meet Me At Mike's Week of Embroidery, or from Sublime Stitching. And thank you for all the compliments on the Secret Tea Towel project! I did find a little time do some lunchtime painting - this time I was inspired by various movies...


I saw Harold and Maude the other day and I was beyond charmed by Harold:
lunchtime painting: Harold


Also, I'm convinced it was Wes Anderson's #1 inspiration for Rushmore - the odd comic timing reminded me so much of Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. I loved Harold's pert little suits and wide 70's ties, which gave me serious flashbacks to my dad's ties. So my little watercolor was half a homage to Harold and half a homage to my memories of dad preaching sermons in his pert polyester suits.


Speaking of Wes Anderson movies - do you have a favorite? I think mine's a tie between Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums - I recently saw Darjeeling Limited and really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't happening. Ditto for Bottle Rocket and The Life Aquatic, which had some good moments but altogether I didn't care for. Hmmm... I'm so curious I might have to start a poll on this one! Tell me your favorite! :)


the 400 Blows

Doing this small painting of Harold started me thinking about other movie characters I love, and I moved on to Jean-Pierre LĂ©aud of The 400 Blows. I like some Truffaut and don't like some Truffaut, and this is one I love. There was a time I remember fondly when my best friend and I had an obsession with this film and his character. We even had matching framed pictures of him in our apartments... yeah I know that is a bit strange... :)


Then, a few days later, I thought about Red Desert, a film I knew nothing about until a huge, scary-looking tattooed guy described it to me as the "most beautiful" film he'd ever seen. (Isn't it funny how the biggest, scariest, most tattooed guys can also be the most sensitive?) His description really piqued my curiosity so I watched it and instantly fell in love with Antonioni films and Monica Vitti...


monica vitti

I often love movies not just for the story, or the talent of the actors - there's also something indescribable I love about films - a quality that is a combination of the clothing, the set design, the sound, and the cinematography. So for example, even though nothing ever happens in Antonioni films, there's something so beautiful about the nothing that happens that it still affects me deeply...


In any case, I enjoyed my drawings so much in their outline stage, I was thinking they might make fun embroidery projects... maybe I'll try that sometime soon! I hope you all had good weekends - I saw a super hilarious, super talented guy last night, Tim Minchin - if you ever have the chance to see him (and have a dark, musically inclined sense of humor) don't miss him!


day 18 of 365 Sketch: movie inspiration

Will it be Spring soon? I hope so...

10 comments:

Chris Salley said...

Harold and Maude...my favorite. The first time I saw it I felt ripped off that I hadn't seen it sooner!!! Great paintings!

Raesha D said...

LOVE the drawings! Especially Harold - I adore Bud Cort and Harold and Maude is one of my all time favorite movies. I've seen it at least 50 times. I love, love, love it. I adore Cat Stevens too and his soundtrack to the movie is superb.

Ariel said...

Thank you so much for reminding me that it's been *years* since I've seen Harold and Maude. Far too long. And I love the idea of turning the drawings into an embroidery project.

Stacy A. said...

Floresita, your sketches are great. I love how you just draw what you thinking about. I too adore Harold and Maud. The whole thing, like you said. The scenery, the props, clothing, music etc... Hmmm my favorite Wes Anderson. Thats a toughy. Remember Bottle Rocket was his first. If you had been 17 and part of the weird crew, you might have liked it better. The Royal Tannenbaums is my fave...the best all around. Each one has its own insanity though that makes it special. Thanks for all the sweet embroidery goodness last week and always. Don't wear yourself out. Love Stacy

Ani said...

i'm new(er) to your blog and really enjoy it. these paintings are wonderful.

hmmm...i think i would have to save rushmore is my fave, but tannenbaums is so very good too. for me, staring at adrien brody was the best part of darjeeling (except for the glorious music).

did you like jules et jim? that's the only truffaut i've seen and i was felt pretty indifferent about it.

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

Wow - you've been busy with your pens and paints, Miss Floresita! Thank you for sharing your lovely work - it's really great to see someone else's creative process! xx

g said...

These paintings are so lovely! {and I think they would make amazing embroidery portraits - can't wait to see what you stitch up...}

missyecaj said...

Hi-I stumbled across your site last week, and I very much enjoy the patterns that you have shared. As soon as I saw your drawings, I immediately though of Wes Anderson-the style of the drawings reminds me especially of Royal Tenenbaums, and the paintings throughout the house that Richie painted. It's my favorite Wes Anderson, but I haven't seen Darjeeling yet. have you seen Bottle Rocket (his first)?

Bettsi McComb said...

Hi! I did come from Meet Me At Mike's. Your work is so cool! Your men watercolors remind me of my friend Mimi's work. She has a blog, but her etsy shop is a good place to get snapshot look at her work. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=26770
You will love her "Mr. Handsome" dolls!

memi said...

its been nice seeing to it. ;)