Thursday, May 29, 2008

Embroidery recap


So, back to things I am actually making (and thank you for your patience with yesterday's super-long post)... :) Above is the pillowcase I mailed to my sister (late, of course) for her birthday. I showed you a peek here but there's the finished, real deal for you. Of course I don't even need to tell you I struggled with the colors, but I needed some uber-cuteness in my life and this pattern fit the bill. Want to stitch it yourself? Pattern here.


fk = frida kahlo :)

I recently experimented with cross-stitching on jeans - this was for a side-project that didn't get off the ground (but may pan out in the future). I was shocked at how easy it was to stitch on jeans - I guess I assumed they'd be a real pain in the A to work with, but they weren't. FK, by the way, stands for Frida Kahlo, because I just randomly decided these jeans should celebrate the life of Frida:


viva Frida jeans

I just hope she's not insulted that her life is celebrated on the rear of somebody's jeans. :) Oh, and if you're wondering if those skinny-minnie jeans are my size, not a chance. But I have been sticking to my workout plan and it is amazing. I have so much more energy, and even though I'm not wraith-thin (nor do I want to be) there's a whole lot less wiggling and jiggling and the junk in the trunk is arranged much more nicely. :) I decided it was time to work out when I discovered I couldn't wear any jeans in my closet (even the ones I bought a little big, on purpose) without feeling that if I breathed too hard I'd split a seam. Everything fits again! I completely recommend it! :)


If you've visited my blogging friend Cal's blog recently, you'll see who the cute Sublime Stitching chihuahua went to... Now, I am not normally a dog person, but I will admit that something in me loves chihuahuas. I used to have a hairless (or "nude") mouse and maybe that's part of the draw... In any case, when I saw this picture of Cal's chihuahua, Gertie, I crumbled:



I remembered the Sublime Stitching chihuahua patterns I had, and felt compelled to stitch one and send it to Cal. Personally, I think the resemblance is amazing:
finished


Lastly, I've been meaning to update the design on Feeling Stitchy for awhile now, especially that clip-art banner. I decided that instead of doing all the work myself, we should have a contest and have everyone who wants to, stitch their own FS banner. But I know a lot of people love the little thimble guy, as do I, so I quickly drew out a little pattern, and it became the new Flickr Embroidery group icon:

littleguy

Hopefully I'll get it together and announce the contest details on Feeling Stitchy this weekend...



That's about it for me, and thanks again for bearing with my overly long (and ranty) post yesterday. I thought about it a lot and felt stupid for being so negative and I apologize for that. What I really wanted to convey was what you all conveyed so well in your (much appreciated) comments: there's more to blogging than gossip and snarkiness, and the craft blogging community truly inspires me with their never-ending creativity and generosity. I am glad to be blogging because of all of you - your comments, your support and your kindness. Thank you, all of you, for being so amazing.


9 comments:

Quietgirl said...

Those two birds are just the sweetest thing I've ever seen! Love it!

claudia said...

oh my goodness!
that pillowcase turned out so beautiful flor. i seriously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to color choices, evidently you chose the most perfect ones.

Early Bird Special said...

The pillowcase is gorgeous! I'm sure your sis will love it. :)

I'm SO excited to hear about the FS banner contest. I've been wondering about it ever since you posted a picture of the thimble guy on Flickr. I've already got ideas swimming around in my head. Sa-weet!

Mia said...

That pillowcase is so sweet! I think you did a wonderful job picking the colors, it really is lovely.

Ruth said...

I love your beautiful embroidery, it makes me want to sit down and make a pillowcase like that of my own. Oh, one of these days...! Those jeans are fabulous too, and I do think Frida would approve :)

Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica said...

ooooooohhh, the chihuahua just made me squeal in delight!!!!!! love the jeans too!

floresita said...

Thank you all, friends! Enter that contest! I'd love to see your work! :)

And Crafty Chica - hi there!!! Thank you so much for your comments! Sublime Stitching rocks! :)

hodge podge said...

i just showed gertie that she's on your blog and she is very proud, thanks again for the portrait ;n) sorry you couldn't come to renegade last weekend and meet her in person, but looks like you had a lovely trip. the pillowcase and jeans are gorgeous!

Cala said...

Floresita,
I love your pillowcases! can I ask how you work along the edges? Do you just hoop as close to the edge as possible, or do you even leave a blank space in the hoop? I've been hesitating to do pillow case borders because I'm not sure how to best hoop them and manage the fabric.
Thanks!