Sunday, May 18, 2008

Music to wash dishes to

bridge

I think I have an unusually high affinity for sad love songs. The sadder and more tragic the better - which means that if I ever endure a break up I can't allow myself near my CD collection if don't want to be a teary, irretrievable mess. :) What is it about these maudlin songs that draws me in - I don't exactly know... Maybe it is that every human knows exactly how it feels to be separated from the one they love, or to love someone who does not love them. And in spite of the fact that everyone knows exactly how it feels, that little twinge never loses its pinch and sting.


Nevertheless, as I've mentioned before, every song I love to any degree is more than just the words and music I am hearing, it is a neat package, a mysterious box that also holds everything I was doing at the time I listened to that song. So these songs are extra special to me - I used to listen to them when washing dishes in my first apartment out of college, by a sunlit window. I can remember the sounds of birds singing, cars passing, and the dappled shadows playing across my lips and eyelids as sunlight gleamed on the soapsuds. And my own voice humming to these sad songs, perhaps sadder than any sadness I have felt, and maybe lovelier than any loveliness, too. A sweetness and sadness both that never loses its twinge or sting.


I hope they are sweet for you, too. :)




p.s. If you don't understand Spanish, here are the words (very roughly translated by me) to that first song, my favorite:


Caminemos - Let Us Walk Together
No, I shouldn't think anymore of how I loved you
It's much better to forget how I suffered
No, I can't conceive that it's all at an end
That this dream of love has ended
that life separated us, without my consent...

Let us walk together, and perhaps we may see each other again, someday...

This is that path that was chosen:
I insist on dwelling on your love, which was lost in nothingness
And I live my life, simply walking, without knowing where I'll end...
maybe... walking this way, life will bring us together again, someday...

No, no, no

No, I shouldn't think anymore of how I loved you
It's much better to forget how I suffered
No, I can't conceive that it's all at an end
That this dream of love has ended
that life separated us, without my consent...

Let us walk together, and perhaps we may see each other again, someday...

13 comments:

Jacey said...

I'm enjoying your mix, as I, too, love sad music. I especially love "Sin una amor". It's so mournful. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jenne said...

I just started listening. For me it's music to work by, since that's where I'm at. Thanks for sharing the mix! I don't understand the spanish, which makes it not sound too sad...just...restful and longing (so maybe sad after all). :)

muralimanohar said...

Washing dishes is one of my favorite times to listen to sad songs. :) For such an easygoing, relatively happy person who HATES sad movies and books, I have a huge predilection for tragic, depressing songs, lol.

Hannita said...

Rayito de luna. That's a nice one. Thanks for sharing.

floresita said...

Thanks Jacey! It's always nice to find a fellow maudlin-music lover.. ;) And yes, Sin Un Amor is as forlorn as it gets... :)

Ha ha Jenne - it does make good music to work by, too, not that I (cough) am doing that... ;) I just put up a rough translation for you of that first song so you can appreciate it in all its forlorn-ness... :)

muralimanohar, isn't it a perfect combination? It's hard to be too sad when you're washing dishes, and so it feels more restful than sad... :)

hannita - Rayito do Luna is very special to me (it is the one happy song here) - I'm glad you liked it too! :)

Kristi said...

Thank you for sharing! This is really beautiful. Sad, haunting music is so much more inspiring than the happy stuff... :)

Leticia said...

Oh Floresita, I grew up listening to los Panchos, Jorge Negrete, Pedro Infante, Javier Solis among others. Thanks for the memories.

Stitcher S said...

I love sad songs too. I love these, thanks for sharing them.

An English one that I find very sad is "China" by Tori Amos. It's one of my favorites, and it's not one you hear much on the radio. "2nd Avenue" is good too--Garfunkel.

Jodi said...

Thanks for sharing, I shed a tear too...off to wash more dishes now!

Anne said...

Soo nice!!

Jamie, Shad and Shiloh said...

i like your mix..that mixwit thing is so cute. it reminds me of when i was a teenager used those cheap recordable casettes to tape songs off on the radio. ha...that was before anyone ever heard of an ipod.

floresita said...

Thank you Kristi - I agree! :)

Thanks Leticia - I need to get myself some Jorge Negrete and Pedro Infante - I grew up with all those memories, too! :)

Thanks for the sad songs, stitcher s - I'll have to dig them up and give them a listen. One of Tori Amos' songs makes me really sad - so much that I can hardly listen to it (Hey Jupiter)... :)

Awww... Jodi, I'm sorry - I'll have to put together a happy song tape to make up for the sadness... :)

Thanks anne!

Hey Jamie, Shad and Shiloh (ha ha are you 3 people?) I love Mixwit, too. I love clicking play and watching the little gears turning, just like I used to in my real mixtape days...

claudia said...

ah, los panchos. i recently gave my parents a compilation of los panchos because all they had were cassettes and sometimes they would get tangled up. i love los panchos, i grew up listening to them. the sound of those three guitars is very fond to me.