Thursday, May 1, 2008

Springtime restlessness

last of the tulips

The time of the tulips is so brief - this was just a week ago, but already all the tulips have begun to wilt, brown at their edges, and lean heavily towards the earth. It's cooler this week, and grayer, although the sun emerged for a little while yesterday and this morning. I love the Spring, but I've noticed I get very restless around this time - the air itself seems full of possible things, unspoken things, dreams, and I feel anxious to accomplish something...



I feel like I've been in a rut, but I look at these photos and see I've been busy... I guess it's just the Spring restlessness coloring my vision...
sleeve


Here's my Ipod holder - a pocket I cut from an old jacket. I added the embroidery 2 days ago during lunch - just a single strand of red sewing thread and I didn't even draw the image first before embroidering. It felt more like drawing than embroidering...


Here are a few things I doodled while listening to the Craftsanity interview with Jenny Hart (which you really should listen to, if you haven't yet)...
day 24 of 365 Sketch: doodles
I felt like I learned so much more about her - I've always loved listening to artists talk about their work...


And finally, here's the super-slow progress I've been making on the monkey for a friend (sorry! if you are reading this!)
dress
I've been thinking long and hard about that tiny white dress - I want everything to be perfect! Now it's time to return to a gray, chilly New York... sheesh. Anyone else feeling a Springtime funk?

5 comments:

Mia said...

Flor- That white dress is so sweet, I think it looks fantastic!

Sylvie said...

The face on the Ipod cozy is very good -- I can't believe that you did it without drawing on the fabric first! In terms of a spring funk, spring comes on so strong, and it is kind of sad when the flowers fade. Oh, and I love the white dress, too!

Alli said...

Yes, I am with you on the springtime funk. I have no reason to be down, but the feeling has been dogging me all week. I'm glad to know that it's not only me.

I love your drawings - isn't it wonderful how art inspires art?

smartypants said...

Spring is just now sprung here in the pacific northwest. We've had one of the longest and coldest winters on record and now that the sun is FINALLY showing itself I find myself paralyzed with all the things I want to do.
I think the little white dress is just darling.
:)

Scotti said...

I noticed the hand in your sketches has six fingers. Is there any significance to this or did it just happen? In either case it gives the hand a symmetry and elegance that is pretty cool.