Monday, June 16, 2008

El Mundo Magico: this magical world

Elsita's paper doll

A long time ago, just after college, was the loneliest time in my life for me. I had lost touch with many of the people I'd been friends with and as this was before the real age of Google and Facebook-stalking had begun, I had no way to find them... I've always been a very reserved person, tough to befriend, so losing touch with the few people I'd opened up to was hard.


I was very bashful with my drawings, my interests, my very thoughts. I felt at times I had to pretend to be a "normal" (although boring) person so I could talk more successfully to the people around me. I rarely, if ever, showed anyone my drawings, the things I wrote, or chatted about the books I was reading, the films I was watching and the thoughts I was thinking.


Never, back then, would I have imagined a world in which I could show the world my thoughts and little doodles and snapshots and feel at rest with myself, even accepted. Never would I have imagined trading comments or messages with talented people who also think in pictures, colors, lines and photographs, in addition to words and sentences. For me, the internet is a truly magical world I've taken part in, a place that has allowed me to overcome my huge shyness in an unusual way: by showing myself to the world, but still having the ability to remain anonymous.


These are the thoughts I was thinking while I looked in wonder at the paper doll (above) Elsita recently created and read her story of the magical world she created for her niece. I realized that this is my magical world, right here, the secret book I open both to reveal glimpses of myself and visit you in all your travels. Thank you to everyone, for making this such a wonderful read... :)


doe in progress yesterday

Thank you for your comments on the watermark question! I'm still thinking hard about it... I'll make a decision soon. It sounds like you all feel like I do, a watermark is a good thing, and it can blend in rather than clash with the photograph. I also understand those not in favor of the watermark (or who are too lazy, like me, to add another step!) I promise a few magical stories soon, about the place I spent my weekend...

9 comments:

Stitcher S said...

I so know what you mean about 'the magical world' here on the internet. I recently shared my blog with my family members. That was a big step for me! I told them it was "My life, idealized and more beautiful", something like that.

Thanks for sharing your magical world here. Your drawings are amazing and it's so wonderful to see others who have creative leanings but often times don't share them in their daily lives.

Stacy said...

Flor, you have said it all perfectly. Even recently before I found blog land, I felt very lonely for friendship. My health makes going out a lot difficult and in the past, the only way I met people here was in bars. I was craving creative, non alcohol influenced relationships, especially with women. I had no idea where to begin. Then, I started a blog.
The people I meet and read about fill that space for me, without the pressure of always being energetic and physically available. And it has made me write and think in ways I never have before. Yours is one of those special spots for me, that by just reading, I almost feel at home! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful thoughts, they always touch and inspire me. Love Stacy

alethiologie said...

I have felt the same way (lonely, afraid, etc.) and although I still feel nervous about sharing my art I'm even more nervous about sharing any personal thoughts. Thanks for sharing yours.

The Embroidery Designs.info said...

I love that embroidery - so neat and beautiful.

Drewzel said...

I'm so glad you shared! What a lovely post :)

PS. I vote for the watermark, the one you've got as an example looks good.

Arkerchi said...

Hi, Love the deer so much.
btw, you have been awarded the ate y pico award by me ... go take a look. because your embroider has inspired me much :)

http://arkerchi.blogspot.com/2008/06/award.html

Suzanne said...

I am glad that you found the internet and are brave to share your creations. I love the deer its so ute. Hope you dont mind I just came from Wens blog.

Amy said...

It's wonderful to find a space that you can be yourself. Hopefully as the right people come into your life, this will take place on all levels.

muralimanohar said...

I am totally in favor of watermarks. On the one hand, it's so completely handy for keeping track of where I got the image from, since I HATE to post an image on my blog without proper credit; and on the other hand, I almost never use an original photo for anything, so I never worry about something like a watermark...if I use a photo for anything I do, it's only as an inspiration for my own creation.

I keep thinking I should watermark my own images, but then I feel all pretentious, like my photos have value. But then I think, they DO have value, and I should take credit for them. Even if they are not spectacular, they are still mine, yk?