Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rain, Eydie Gorme, y los Panchos

It's been a gorgeous weekend, spent mainly inside, staring out the windows, watching lightning, hearing thunder, and enjoying the sound of pouring rain. I love thunderstorms - I always have, and I had a new CD to keep me company while listening to the rain...




I have a thing for graphic design of the late 50's and 60's... especially old record designs... the photography (isn't that photo of her adorable?), the typography, their color choices. I also love when CD versions of LP's use the old cover art... it's like having "mini albums" in your collection...


In any case, this is Eydie Gorme, who I listened to for the first time a few weeks ago. You know already I'm a huge Trio Los Panchos fan, and she made a few amazing records with them in the 60's, of which this is one... I love her clear, breezy voice, and how it seems to float aloft over the guitars, and how it is serious but never sad... I totally recommend this CD if you're looking for an introduction to Los Panchos... and it was so inexpensive - only 6 dollars!



Mixwit


The first mixtape I made of Los Panchos songs doesn't work anymore (maybe after a certain time some songs "expire" from Mixwit)? Anyway, last weekend my boyfriend and I took a walk down by the water and I heard the very same Los Panchos songs, blaring from an ancient boom box on a bench next to four ancient-looking Latin men. I smiled and smiled, as I'm sure they would never guess how huge a fan I was, and how much that made my day... :)

5 comments:

bratygrl1 said...

I love Edie Gorme y Los Panchos! I have that cd and it's one of my faves. It reminds me of being at my grandma's house. (She has an amazing record collection from the 50's, 60's and 70's.)

Glad you "found" them! Enjoy!

Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica said...

Oooh, how I love Eydie too. Reminds me of my dad, he used to blast her through the family room speakers every Saturday morning. I wanted to look like her so bad!!

floresita said...

Oh yeah, 2 Eydie fans! I'm addicted to that CD now, I think I'll have to get the other one, too. I love stuff from my parents generation, it makes me feel even more connected to them... :)

Shebrews said...

Well, you know I stole my name spelling from Ms. Eydie.......
I know of few that spell it this way...usually the y is where the i is......Eydie

Doodlebug said...

My grandmother had that exact Eydie Gorme album, and I remember her playing it over and over again on her stereo while we visited. I bought the CD too and have gone through a whole Tejano music phase lately (big-time nostalgia from being away from Texas). I also recommend Los Super Seven, which has/had Freddy Fender, Ruben Ramos, and members of Los Lobos (among others) as part of the group.

Anyway, thanks for bringing back some great memories!