Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Viva Pedro!

I love Pedro Almodovar. There is no other director I can think of whose films I have loved as consistently as Almodovar. And aside from his (unreleased?) 70's stuff I have seen every movie he's ever made. His films are absolutely fearless - they're about desire, love, betrayal, obsession and the realistic comedy that attends tragedy in life. He will touch any and every theme, nothing is safe or taboo (so it's safe to say his films are not for the faint of heart). But I think, even for the faint of heart, there's something you might see in them... the color and passion of a director that seems to fully understand life.


I wait to watch his films until I have time to enjoy them fully - like a delicious meal, they can't be rushed. So, I waited to see Volver a long time, past all the Oscar hype and I'm glad I did... last night I saw it for the second time and I had to share with you my favorite part...




Music is so strong in Almodovar's films, and he knows how to use music in a way I've only seen in a few films... maybe Pulp Fiction and The Royal Tenenbaums. The music itself is also a character and moves the film forward, but never by being trite or representational. And so, here are a few more songs I love from Almodovar's films (and you knew a Los Panchos song had to be in there). :)



Mixwit



What about you? Do you have a favorite director who consistently makes movies you love?

6 comments:

Claudia said...

oh flor, i'm in the verge of tears here with that song from Luz Casal but i just had to comment.

Almodavar is one of my favorite directors. i haven't missed any of his movies. i think my ultimate favorite one is Tacones Lejanos in which Miguel Bosé played such an excellent performance. Almodovar has such an exquisite touch in incorporating music to his films.

Viva Pedro indeed!

floresita said...

Isn't her version of "Piensa en Mi" amazing? I've looked for it on CD for years, I think I finally found one on Amazon...

I can't watch that scene with Penelope Cruz singing (on a bigger screen, of course, where you can see her tears) without crying - it makes a mess out of me!

If I had to pick a favorite I would say maybe "All About My Mother" or "Live Flesh", but I also know I love them all! :)

Claudia said...

i have that Luz Casal cd, a friend brought it from mexico for me right after Tacones Lejanos came out. The song Penelope is singing i have the original version by Carlos Gardel, it's a tango. however, the sound of the guitars and all that emotion that Penelope pours in that flamenco is incomparable.

floresita said...

I think maybe it isn't Penelope singing? It sounds just like the version with Estrella Morente singing... and plus I think it would be too hard to sing that beautifully with that many tears in your eyes... :)

Olga said...

And you know, I was *just* about to ask whether you thought that was actually Penelope singing or not! I love Almodovar's movies, and I think they just keep getting better and better. My favorite is probably All About My Mother, and then Volver. (P.S. I couldn't stop staring at Pene's eye makeup...must learn how to do that smokey eye!)

floresita said...

Ha ha, Olga I so cannot rock Penelope's smoky eye look - I just look like I got in a barfight. But I agree, she looked amazing.. 10 times more beautiful than those lackluster L'oreal ads on TV.

I agree, Almodovar has gotten a bit more "serious" with age but he can still have a lot of fun with his movies, too... :)