Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fashion images that inspire me


Originally uploaded by jessica m


It's a bit tough for fashion images to inspire me... on the one hand I love fashion when it is daring, artistic and creative. On the other hand, there are a lot of stale, drab, and boring images of fashion out there. As in clothing, it's hard for me to describe what I love, but I know what I love when I see it. Case in point: that wonderful moleskine drawing above, which reminds me so much of Catherine Deneuve in Repulsion (one of my all-time favorites).



I occasionally follow magazines, but I can tell when my favorite art directors leave because they no longer inspire me. Lately, I've been keeping up with the Sartorialist and enjoying his poetic finds. I was fascinated to finally see the face behind the camera, and what an awesome, punch-in-the-gut amazing ad it is:



You should definitely click through to see the large size on his blog. I loved the graceful, Great Gatsby, roaring 20's-like quality to the photo, but I must say what I loved most was the kindness in his eyes.


What about you? Are there any ads, blogs, or good magazines inspiring you now?

6 comments:

rectangel said...

I once dry mounted and framed a set of sketches from a spread in Vogue...they were gorgeous in my memory but no longer on my walls...at the time I was living in an apt with a fire place and avidly against mirrors above the fire place and mirros that reflect nothing ... so I liked up 5 of these pictures above it and put my mirror on the wall across from the fireplace it looked pretty cool...if I find them I'll snap a photo to show you my early 2000 lameness...cheapest "expensive looking" art ever though and no one else had them ;)

rectangel said...

sorry but had to add that that man is gorgeous and i LOVE the drawing -reminded me of this marimekko fabric http://www.reprodepot.com/mk54718890.html with the black cream and white weird but true.

jessica-m said...

Hi, I am jessica m, the one who drew the girl in her moleskine. Someone recently bought one of my paintings after seeing this is in your blog. Thank you so much! I have a friend who got that tree tattooed on her!

sunnie_fairy said...

inspiring me? all these GREAT crafting blogs! it's fantastic to see what other crafters are making.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh! What a gorgeous, gorgeous blog you have!

I noticed some really stunning ads in this month's Elle. I actually ripped out quite a few...

Lauri said...

Wow-I haven't visited your blog in a while (not because of YOU, but, because it's summer and The Children are home...) and this whole page is absolutely gorgeous! Especially the photos of the waterfalls (!) and the little flowers and wildflowers. (That's what I always seem to focus on, too! lol!)

Where in Texas were you? I gotta know! I'm in San Antonio (and Houston a lot) and I am SUCH a fan of your embroidery! I would have loved to have met you. (Because that's what you have so much time for on vacation...driving around meeting people you don't know...lol!)