Friday, August 15, 2008

Quiet lately

on a walk

So, I know I've been quiet lately... ever since my return from Texas last weekend I've been in a very meditative, quiet mood. I always forget how hard it is for me to visit home and leave, especially when I do it so quickly, taking only a few days or so. Lately it's gotten so hard for me to do that I'm actually thinking of not going home for the holidays... that sounds so weird, doesn't it? I find it so hard to explain, maybe some of you who live far from "home" know what I mean... there's so many stresses on you when you travel home, never enough time, sadness when you leave... and lately I find it pretty overwhelming.


Of course, that's not to say I wasn't happy to be home and see family and loved ones - I'm always overjoyed. It was all just tinged with a tiny bit of melancholy this time. .. When I return home it is the simplest, smallest things that sometimes affect me, like the familiar shape of trees I can't see in New York:
leaves


But one of my favorite afternoons was a late breakfast with my sister, followed by a trip to the Hobby Lobby, where we purchased crafty supplies and sat down together for a few hours to paint.


The happy result of this endeavor was:
bananas


Thanks to everyone who has been commenting and emailing - I apologize for my slowness and quietness... I know I'll be back to full-time craftiness soon... :)

10 comments:

Lolita Blahnik said...

I can imagine how hard has to be to live far away from the family... I wouldn't be able to resist it.

Chris Salley said...

I know exactly what you mean.

Anne said...

Floresita, I also know too well that particular feeling. Just take it easy and take care.

emilyknits said...

I know exactly how you feel too, it doesn't get easier does it? x

Brook said...

I know how you feel... I just got back last night from visiting my moms side of the family in Michigan. When we were leaving all of us were bawling like babies even my 18 year old brother... its hard... but its worth it.

Kristin said...

Yes, I do totally understand. Between visiting my home town (all my husband's family, and my best friend), my mom in northern oklahoma (I feel at home just being near her), and visiting the rest of my family down in texas, I struggle with this quite a bit. Being in Oklahoma is like being in a foreign land sometimes... I definitely understand being homesick to the point of it being painful to go and have to leave.

Mom and I have often (half) joked about how when we go home next, we may not come home. We know we will, but the pull to stay will always be there.

There's no place like home.

*HUGS*

Kristin
Reclaiming The Home
http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome

Amy said...

For seven years I lived away from my family, I really know what you are talking about with the visits. I was always in such a slump after leaving, actually just plain depressed. I just read other comments, I guess this is pretty universal. Aah, the joy and pain of home. It might be more painful, however, to not spend the holidays with your family.

Chris Salley said...

okay....i really miss your blog posts.

kittykill said...

I completely understand. I think you need some time to re-coop, re-vamp, collect yourself.

ninimakes said...

I know too well. 11 years living in the UK. I missed Christmas at home (in Calif.) for the first time last year. It was hard, but also good. Much less stress, no packages to wrap and lug through airports, no jet-lagged children. On the other hand, children missed out on visiting cousins, I missed out on seeing family and friends and I found myself continually thinking about what they'd all be doing on Christmas day. There's no good answer except to make the most of wherever you are! I'm sure you will :)