Friday, October 10, 2008

Flashback Friday: My blonde doll

my blonde doll

This pic should be familiar to you by now, but maybe you've never seen the whole thing? It's definitely a tribute to my mom that, as a 3 year old (?), she had me in such a pristine, combed, and neatly dressed state on Christmas morning with no doubt, a turkey in the oven, 6 children to feed, a house to clean and decorate, and presents to wrap.


When I first posted this pic a few years ago, I remembered how odd it was to grow up with dark hair and dark eyes and be surrounded by baby dolls with blonde hair and blue eyes. I remembered actually thinking something was wrong with my face as a pre-teen and teenager because, in looking through the fashion magazines and watching television, I never saw someone who looked like me. I'm so glad that our role models come in every color and ethnicity now.


Happy Friday to you all!

4 comments:

megan said...

This is such an adorable picture! I'm glad also that dolls aren't just blonde anymore (maybe part of the reason why I never liked dolls as a child?). But even with a broader dolly ethnic scope, I'm still waiting impatiently for my mixed race Irish/English/Basque/Spanish/Russian doll!

floresita said...

Awww, thanks Megan! Ha ha, you might have me beat on the mixed ethnicity but if I can believe my dad and grandma's stories, I'm just a mixed up! ;)

People always ask me what I am, most assume Asian. :)

floresita said...

Ahem, "as mixed up" :)

Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

You were so adorable. I've always hated blonde dolls - no offense to blondes it's just that I wanted dolls that looked like me - a brunette - and they were never around.