Friday, January 9, 2009

About being a preacher

my dad with my oldest brother
my dad, with his first child (my brother)

After hours of surgery yesterday, the doctors removed the entire tumor from my dad's brain and determined it wasn't cancerous. The tumor was outside the brain, which was why they could remove it completely. My dad's in recovery now, surrounded by his brothers and sisters, all of his family, and church members he's known throughout his life. I wish I could be with him but I'm happy to know he's ok.


There's a passage in the Bible that reminds me of my father:

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. John 9:1-3


I'd like to say that faith is an easy thing to know and grasp, and that anyone can use their logic and intellect to come to a knowledge of God. But, as the daughter, granddaughter, and great-granddaughter of a preacher I see instead that the path to faith is very odd, wobbly, dark, and often uninspiring. Because of that, because one's knowledge and intellect are rarely a great help in understanding God, I think God speaks to us in all the events of our life - in what we understand to be miracles and tragedies. I don't think of myself as a holy person in the least, and my dad, although we love him, is a human being and has his imperfections. But the life of my father has always taught me things about God. The life of my father has always instructed me to have faith. To me, he was the most important kind of preacher, because his life was his teaching.


I don't mean to offend anyone who doesn't believe in God - I just wanted to speak from my own experience. And I'm grateful for my dad, my family, and all the support and words of kindness you guys have given me. Thank you so much!


mi familia, circa 1965
my family, circa 1965

15 comments:

IamSusie said...

Flor- I'm not surprised at all to learn here that you have a strong and deep faith. It comes through in the kind and thoughtful way you communicate on your blogs.

Prayer is very powerful and what a blessing that your Dad is surrounded by people who love him. It is a blessing also that his tumor was not cancerous.

Knit - R - Done said...

You don't need to hide your beliefs. Don't be ashamed.

My aunt just had a huge brain tumor removed in October and she was teaching 2nd grade again before Christmas Break.

The human brain is a marvel. When something that complex is fixed, it's a miracle

a cat of impossible colour said...

I'm so glad that it's good news!

Mrs. Trumbull said...

I'm so happy that the surgery went well! I hope he has a speedy recovery, which I'm sure he will, being surrounded by so many loved ones.

Rosa said...

Flor, I'm just delurking to say that I hope your father has a speedy recovery--and, as a nonbeliever, I am not offended by your words at all. I think it's important to hear and learn to respect the beliefs and feelings about faith from all corners, from all people.

It's clear that you care very much about your dad, whatever his imperfections.

busy lizzie said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful Dad. It also sounds like your Dad has a wonderful daughter. I love your sentiments on faith. Beautiful and succinct.
And I wish your father well in his recovery. :)

Estefanita said...

oh, flor, this made me cry! I love you so, so much and I'm so glad your dad is okay.

Kat said...

My wishes for a fast and complete recovery.

planetcoco said...

I'm so glad things are looking more positive for your dad, Flor - it must be such a relief for you. Wishing you, and him, all good things and happy times together very soon.

Gumbo Lily said...

True faith is seen "in the walk"....as you said, "His life was his teaching." I'm so glad your dad is okay.

"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen." ~Romans 10:36

Jody

Early Bird Special said...

What wonderful news about your Dad and a beautiful and loving post. I'll be sending prayers and get well soon wishes to him.

xoxo

Danielle said...

Hi Floresita. I love your little blog and you give me some great inspiration with the things you make. Warmest wishes for you and your family. Danielle x x

Doda said...

I am so glad your dad is going to be OK.
I like all that you wrote here.
:-))

sewitsforyou said...

Oh I am so glad they were able to remove the whole thing and it wasn't cancer. Thank God. I hope he is doing better and resting at home soon with the rest of your family. I will be sending healing thoughts his way

megan said...

I'm thrilled that your dad is recovering! Hooray, hooray! And it's not surprising that you're a preacher's daughter - it explains both your sweetness and generosity and also your secret pottymouth (you rebel!)