Thursday, April 2, 2009

Flickr doesn't disappoint

mosaic3488130
These three adorable things have nothing to do with what I'm talking about... but I found them on Flickr:
1. Repurposed/Upcycled Suitcase Pet Bed - Green, 2. Project 7: RVA Felt Family Wall Art, 3. Clark


This morning I logged in to Flickr and expected to see the same number of imposing messages in my Inbox as yesterday - oh, somewhere around 40-something. I'm really not that popular, they're just the automatic notifications I get when people add me as a contact. But, surprise, this morning, there were only 8 messages. Real messages! Flickr had cleverly moved all the repetitive notifications into another tab. Presto!


This little tweak got me thinking about Flickr and how, on the whole, whatever changes they make to their layout, structure and design, they always keep Flickr looking good and make sense.


Let's compare this to Facebook - anyone out there use it? I used to use it, but ever since its re-design I've almost completely sworn off of it. None of their changes make any sense - the layout is awful-looking, cluttered, and totally unfriendly. Tweaks they once had, which allowed me to "tune out" people I'm not keen to know everything about are gone (so now I have to scroll through the last 5,000 quizzes my distant relation took before I can get to my best friend.) What is up with Facebook? They could learn a thing or two from Flickr.

What do you guys think?

12 comments:

Wendy said...

I agree. Facebook is not attractive and seems clumsy to me. I have enjoyed connected with people through the site but don't like the process. Uploaded pictures don't look as good as they do on Flickr either. Don't know why that is though. Flickr has a clear identity while Facebook seems confused.

Carina said...

Yeah, I'm with you, Flor. The only good thing Facebook has done for me is get me back into contact with long lost friends.

Other than that I have zero interest in it. All those applications and quizzes you can do on Facebook? Forget about it, total waste of time.

Flickr, on the other hand. Beautiful Inspiring. 'Nuff said.

Valerie said...

I think you need to play around with friend lists in Facebook. I love the new layout precisely because I can see at a glance what's happening with the people who are important to me and ignore those who aren't.

A comment of mine was not posted on yesterday's entry. Did it get lost in the shuffle?

Amy said...

You can still filter people out, there's a "hide" icon that pops up.

sewitsforyou said...

Facebook is really kind of evil. I am not loving it at all. I do like flickr a lot...

jane said...

Facebook's lost all sense of reality since it adopted the rounded corner picture vignetting. I want to be able to hurt myself on the corners of my profile pictures dammit!

Jane said...

I wholeheartedly agree. Do not care one bit who you pinched, poked,sent a rose to or what your Star Wars name is! I do want to see people's status updates. The changes stink!

Flickr stands the test of time.

Akazukin said...

I have to add my opinion since I finally started to use Facebook yesterday and for some reason I feel bitter. I don't feel so much pressure on Flickr. I can leave it and it will still be there when I come back with my new photos. I'm not too interested in meeting people I already know or people I used to know. That time could be better spent doing things with real friends in the real world. It would be nicer to talk to someone using Skype instead of taking a bunch of the same quizzes. When I am using the Internet I want to meet new inspiring people. Blogger and yes even MySpace are more creative than Facebook. So far I think Facebook is just an online phonebook.

Kelly said...

You can totally still block out that distant relative's 37 quiz results on FB. Just hover over any entry in your news feed by that person and a "Hide" option will appear in the upper right-hand corner. It took me a while to find it too.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the new layout (though I don't passionately hate it). My husband despises it. To each his own.

It definitely isn't pretty by any sense of the word.

busy lizzie said...

Im so behind the times, and have only joined facebook recently. There was a bit of a frenzy at first which seems to have calmed now, but its a bit of a time waster. I have been following your blog, but have been unable to leave comments until now. I really feel for you with your Dad. My mum passed away 4 and half years ago. I miss her, but the memories of her are wonderful, and I find more and more I am saying all those things that used to drive me crazy, and I dont mind it one bit!

Paper Girl Productions said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it! I've added you to my daily reads :D

I agree about Facebook. I was using it to keep in contact with friends and stuff but I even lost half of the f.book page on the right hand side soooo I couldn't see everything and the new layout is just awful so I closed my account. LOVE Flickr though!!

Stitcher S said...

I like Facebook for connecting with people but I enjoy Flickr's photos much better. I love seeing all the creativity on Flickr and get tired of some of the nonsense on FB.