Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Trying out a vintage transfer

pinned

I was in a really lazy mood this weekend, and I had nowhere near enough energy to trace over a really intricate pattern with a transfer pencil. So, instead I decided to put the 40-50 year old inks to the test...


I had a couple of scraps of green-line pillowcase transfers, and they looked in good enough shape to try ( the paper was yellowing a tiny bit):


transfer before

I did try a tiny piece first, on the inside of the pillowcase, it took, so I pinned and tried the whole thing. I peeled off the corner first:


peeling off...

And, voila! It worked!


peeled off

Not bad, considering it's older than me. I decided to embroider it all in white on light blue... if I ever finish you'll get a pic of that. So, just an FYI - some of those old transfers really work!


white on blue

I scanned the transfer, if any of you want to try it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytransfers/3392786027/

11 comments:

Penny Nickels said...

I can't believe that the ink was still good. That's amazing! I wish my Sulky pens would last longer than 50 days... :)

Veronica said...

Beautifull work! I'm brazillian and I don't write english very well, but I agree with your crafting philosofy. Congratulations.

Alli said...

Wow, gorgeous! I love that it still worked.

Orjana said...

Thank you for posting that pattern, it is lovely! I also tried out your idea below for the happy birthday banner, it is so cheerful and I can re-use it aswell!

Claudia said...

I actually tried this recently with some of my vintage patterns. I remember I used one that was from the 1940's! And it worked very well too. I was so surprised because I thought that I was going to need to set my iron to "burn in hell" mode but no, it actually took right away.

Vintage patterns rule! Thanks for sharing the pattern. I love that you're using white on white, I can't wait to see it finished :)

floresita said...

"Burn in hell" mode - hahahahahaha!

Claudia said...

hehehe!
glad i made you laugh ;)

sriashu said...

i am very sorry
i did not get your idea how did you do pls tell me step bye step
pls

Rebekah said...

I can not believe it actually worked. I might have to try that on a few more larger patterns that I have not had the energy to trace out.

Ashlee said...

That is beautiful!!!! I'm so glad it worked!

Hoebeltje said...

Wauw, nice thing. I think I'll take moms patterns out of the attic ;-)