Thursday, July 23, 2009

Two weeks

embroidering my skirt

Here I am, embroidering my skirt in Texas, more than a week ago. I loved the bright colors and crazy pattern on this skirt, so I snapped it up for 9 dollars while shopping with my mom and tia. Then, I added some embroidery, using gorgeous vintage Star brand threads my mom had laying around. For any of you Vogart pattern freaks, Star brand floss was the kind they always suggested you use - and this was the first time I'd seen any in person. It was hard to believe the thread was older than me - and still so vibrant and bright and strong.


itty french knots

I entertained myself working french knot after french knot while watching a movie with my mom or rocking in the swing chair in our backyard, baking in the beautiful, searing heat.


Oh -if you click through that first picture to Flickr, you'll see a funny dialogue in which people answer the question: would it be weird to embroider the clothes you are wearing, in public? I've been tempted to do it and would view it as multi-tasking. However, I've been tempted to do many weird things before. :)


my skirt + New York + rain

I left the city with rain and came back to the city with rain, but oddly, it doesn't bother me. I've really come to love the rain, the coolness and mystery it brings the city, and the way it clears out the annoying stroller + short shorts + sunbathing brigade. Yes, I'm a bit curmudgeony. :) And to those of you who push strollers - not all of them annoy me! It's just the mommies talking on their cell phones and pushing their wheelbarrow full of fertility-drug induced progeny at me at full speed, with nary an 'excuse me' or 'sorry' when they run over me. All you normal moms with strollers are okay by me. :)


Well, hope all is well with all of you! It's the last of the summer! Let's enjoy every second of it, no?

7 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

I like the embroidery on that gorgeous print. The colors....yum!

Jody

Zully said...

Hi!!

I like the embroidery on your skirt. It´s beautiful.

Hughs from Costa Rica!!!!

Stitcher S said...

It's always a pleasure to visit your blog. Your skirt is gorgeous, and I love the shot of your feet under the skirt on the wet sidewalks. How creative! I think it's high time I get some clothes out, and stitch on them.

I just thought of you the other day, we both lost our dads within the last year so I know how hard it is. Just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts in regards to your dad.

Take care and thanks again for the inspiration.

Chris Salley said...

i really like the print and it only gets better with the embroidery!

Carla said...

I checked back to the first picture and yep, you used 3 strands. A really cute skirt, and someday it would be nice to see the whole thing. (Hint.)

craft-o-matic said...

Hahaha... I think because your skirt is long, there is nothing wrong with enjoying a little PDS (public display of stitching) :)

I recently stitched the outline of a piece of fabric that I loved in a shop (a fat quarter) but don't know what to do with the fabric... ooh. A journal cover??

LOVE the green shoes! (and umbrella reflection)

Janna Widdifield said...

What a great idea to embroider over the shapes on fabric. I'm soo trying it!

I thought of you and your stitchy blogs while I was visiting my family and discovered a vintage piece my grandmother made--an autograph blouse with the names of her friends and family.

I posted some pictures here: http://mustardseeds.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/08/embroidered-autographs.html