Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Loss

me

In the past 2 years I have lost my grandmother, my dad, and 2 old friends I had just reconnected with on Facebook. It seems like there have been so many episodes of coming to work and first thing in the morning, reading some fateful email. Emails shouldn't be fateful! Letters should, or phone calls. (But I never answer my phone, hence the necessity of emails, I guess.) :)

tree

I don't have anything profound to say today, I'm just stupefied by loss. No matter how much you believe in God, or that the world is a good place, losing the people you love really shakes you. What it says to me is simply this: nothing in life is permanent. In human life, there is no such thing as permanence. Every moment in life is truly that: a moment, a pause, a brief, wisplike breath that hangs between one state of life and the next. Everything must be lived and felt to the full - if for no other reason than this: nothing, no one, nothing at all is permanent. We are all a breath.

6 comments:

rectangel said...

hey floresita - I don't have anything profound to offer you except that it has been my experience and comfort that loss while soul wrenching is at least not abandonment. The world brims with contributions of people long gone -it drives us to create and to love and to leave our mark through teaching caring and sharing.

and yes email should not be fateful at worst it should be, "I need you to call me."

thanks for sharing so much with us.
Erin

Maggie said...

Hi Floresita. I've been reading your blog for a while and have commented a couple of times. My mother passed away in January and I have absolutely no words or wisdom to share. Nothing anyone has told me or shared with me has helped me in dealing with this great loss. My faith is strong and I am thankful for that, but I can't say that it eases my grief much. I'm sorry that you've experienced such losses recently. I know it's really shook up my world and changed me. I thank you for sharing your feelings. It's comforting and sad to know that we don't grieve alone.

Hildie said...

Me too, Floresita. My dad died very close to when yours did. Very, very sad.

Right now I'm putting my energy into making a ladybug costume for my little granddaughter and that helps.

I'm glad to see you back.

Chris Salley said...

it is important to appreciate each moment because it is all so short. i relate to this post. thanks for your honesty.

Stitcher S said...

Very true words, thanks for sharing them. I too can never get over the profound sense of loss I feel at losing those I've loved.

Industrioushead said...

Hi Florista,
So sorry to read about your losses over the past few months. Here is a Baha'i prayer to bring some comfort.

Thy name is my healing, O my God, and remembrance of Thee is my remedy. Nearness to Thee is my hope, and love for Thee is my companion. Thy mercy to me is my healing and my succor in both this world and the world to come. Thou, verily, art the All-Bountiful, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.
-Bahá’u’lláh

Yours, Emily