Saturday, October 24, 2009

Conversations: Beefranck

Conversations: Beefranck
1. I was thinking of Frida Kahlo by me 2. Robot Cross Stitch by Bridget
3. what happens when I'm bored... by me 4. Get away from my Grandma by Bridget


Bridget, or Beefranck, as you may know her on Flickr, is the mastermind behind some very snarky, very hilarious cross-stitching. She blogs over at MrXStitch, a blog I like to think of as Feeling Stitchy's cool, older cousin that gets to tell all the dirty jokes without getting in trouble. :) She sells her hilariously dark sayings in her Etsy shop.


I love Bridget's work, first and foremost, because I LOVE the idea of shaking up craft. I'm big into dark humor, cynicism, and snarkiness - a side of me that isn't always apparent here, because I adore, in equal measures, all things cute. Which is why I love her work all the more because her samplers and blackwork combine cuteness and darkness so neatly. They're not for the faint of heart, however, and depending on who's looking over your shoulder at work (and may or may not promote you), you might want to save the clickthrough for home. In short, I love her work because I've had equally unusual craft tendencies - I mean, who cross stitches a Frida Kahlo-inspired reindeer with bloody arrows in it? Or underwear with double entendres? I'd like to think, the same type of person that embroiders a Radiohead quote. Or a Flight of the Conchords quote. :)


My conversation with Bridget is all about keeping crafting fun, weird, and mildly inappropriate. Thanks, Bridget, for putting a bit of NSFW in our crafting lives, and a whole lot of hilariousness. And for being the cool older cousin. :)

5 comments:

Mr X Stitch said...

Beefranck is like my older sister, who causes mayhem and then manages to make our parents think I did it.
To say she is awesome is a bit of an understatement.
I'm glad to see this post on here, thanks Floresita! :)

beefranck said...

Thanks so much! You wouldn't know it, but I'm blushing. I started following your blog before I ever picked up a needle, so this really means a lot to me. :)

Giggly said...

Beefrank is my cool cousin too!! :) I admire and adore her to pieces. XOXOXOX

mynameissnuffy said...

Oh how I love Beefranck!

creativejewishmom.com said...

So glad to have found your wonderful blog, been wanting to do some embroidery and now I'm really inspired. Take a look at my blog for some inspiration from across the world! http://www.creativejewishmom.com