Thursday, October 29, 2009

Conversations: Penny Nickels

Conversations: Penny Nickels
1. La Sirena by me 2. Embroidered Arachne Postage Stamp by Penny
3. hello! by me 4. Triarthrus Becki Trilobite ATC by Penny


Penny Nickel's embroidery has stunned me since the first time I saw it in the Embroidery pool. To see what I mean, just take a look at this piece, which I think was the first I ever saw of her work. I love the sketchy way she handles lines, as if she is truly drawing with her thread. Incorporating embroidery and sewing, her finished works are amazing.


I love her choice of unusual subjects, but just a warning that if you're offended by graphic themes in embroidery (that makes me giggle even as I type it), you might not want to click over, or save the clickthrough for a non-work computer. :) In short, she's another one of the trailblazers who aren't afraid to shake up embroidery and show you something a little different.


My conversation with Penny Nickels is about tiny works, sketchy lines, and trilobites. Yes, trilobites. :) Thanks, Penny, for making embroidery exciting, a bit wild, and incredibly artful!

2 comments:

jane said...

I have lost many hours diving in her photostream.

Penny Nickels said...

Thanks so much! *Blushing*