Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tia Cristina

Tia Cristina
July 1961 - my Tia and my oldest brother

My Tia died on Thursday while crossing the street to catch a bus. She was my mother's baby sister, but of course was no longer a "baby" - she was a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. The last time I saw her was at my dad's funeral in February. She was kind, very quiet and soft-spoken, and had a wonderful laugh. I suppose no one understands why things like this happen. Or why so many things like this happen. By the way, if you click through to the article, do yourself a favor and don't read the comments. Or, do read the comments, but only if you'd like to see that racism is alive and well in Texas. :(


This is my favorite photo of her - baby-sitting for my mom when she was still just a teenager (?). That's my oldest brother, hamming it up. :) We thank you for your life, your laugh, your faith, your kindness. May you rest, Tia.

14 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh, Flor. I am so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts.

jan said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your aunt...(and for the terrible comments).

megan said...

Oh, Flor. My heart aches for you. I'm so so sorry.

Average Jane Crafter said...

Oh Flor- I'm so so so sorry. It's hard enough to lose a family member, but when it is unexpected and violent, and then the subject of public discussion - that is just crushing. I'm so sorry your family is going through this.

My friend and I were just discussing how idiotic people who comment on newspaper web sites are. It's ridiculous. I'm so sorry you're having to watch all that.

Hugs!
XOXO

Keely~B said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

floresita said...

Thank you so much, everybody. Your kind words mean so much to me.

Linda P said...

Oh no Flor! I saw that story on the news and was shaking my head at it all, I'm so sorry that it was your aunt (and that people on websites are inconsiderate jerks).

IamSusie said...

Flor, how absolutely utterly awful. I am so sorry about your Tia. I was proud to teach school just north of there on South Zarzamorra, but closer to the produce district. My husband and I fondly remember the west side of San Antonio as a lively community with a wonderful heritage and culture. Don't listen to those racist idiots. My prayers are with your family.

Alli said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Floresita. It seems that your family is being hit with tragedy after tragedy. My thoughts are with you and your aunt - she sounds like she was a wonderful person.

Jenne said...

I'm so sorry. Such a sad event. My heart goes out to you and your family.

beadgirl said...

I'm so sorry, Floresita, I will pray for you and your family and of course your Tia. And I am sorry the article brought out the worst in some people. Don't think about them any more -- they are not worth a minute of your time.

dark horse said...

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss.
Thinking of you and your family with sympathy.


Beatrice

Sally said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family Flor. This has not been a good year at all. My thoughts are with you.

Becky said...

So sorry for your loss.