Monday, November 9, 2009

Progress on the punk

this morning...

I decided she must have pink hair, and for no reason I could discern, lavender eyes. Having lots of fun with this one, especially stitching the stubble. :) Click that pic if you want a link to the free pattern by Jenny.


Here's a little detail:




Oh, and there was a question in the comments I wanted to answer:
I just recently started embroidering and am trying to figure out how people keep their work nicely framed in the hoop, it seems like a cute, cheap way to do things. I've looked around and haven't been able to find an answer to this seemingly easy question! Help?

Well, I'm no expert at the "embroidery hoop art" - I just stick my stuff in a hoop, trim the edges, and cross my fingers that the fabric never pops out. ;) However, there is a method to secure the fabric in the hoop (which I have always been too, ahem, lazy to try):
http://www.purlbee.com/swatch-portraits/

Let me know if this works for you! Also, do any of you want to chime in? Do you guys have a tried and true method to secure your fabric for "framing"? I bet I'm the only lazy-ass crafter in the house! :)


6 comments:

Penny Nickels said...

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the framing discussion!
I do use the PurlBee method of hoop framing with a few twists. ALWAYS use an archival glue. Yes Paste is good and so is Elmer's White Glue, (NOT school glue).
After you let the glued fabric dry a bit, heat set the rim with a hot iron.
This method really makes a difference if the piece is going to travel/get shipped. It makes me so sad to get a hooped piece in the mail and see that it's puckered and buckled from rough shipping, and there's really nothing to do about it because the fabric has been trimmed super short. So, glueing can make a difference for stability. But I always check with the buyer/recipient because sometimes they wish to have the piece framed professionally, so glueing isn't necessary and wide margins are preferable.

floresita said...

Thank you so much, Penny Nickels! An expert opinion - you rock! :)

wendy said...

Forgive me, I'm an embroidery noob. Is that a specific kind of stitch you're using for her hair? It seems to kind of twist around a bit, but I can't figure out how it's done. I hope it's not breaking any embroidery etiquette to ask a question like that >.<

floresita said...

Hi wendy, I mix up my stitches a lot, but I mostly used stem stitch on this one. Click on the top picture, I noted all the stitches I used so far.

The light pink part of the hair I used perle cotton, (twisty-looking stuff) which makes that part look extra twisty. But it's just stem stitch.

There are a billion good stitch dictionaries if you need help, here's one I like:
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html

wendy said...

Thanks! That will help a lot.

Joe said...

Hi! I linked to you from Flickr. This is amazing!

saludos,

from another migrating texan