Friday, December 18, 2009

Floss, floss, floss

lovely colors

I love floss. To me, it's like playing with crayons, but with the added softness, sheen, and texture of fabric. And when you sniff it, it doesn't smell waxy and gross (depending upon where you store it, that is). :)


I already have an entire set of Presencia floss, carefully stowed away in a white binder and glossy page protectors:
wines, burgundies and magentas?

Yeah, I'm like a comic book nerd, but with floss. Actually I'm like a comic book nerd in a lot of equally disturbing ways. But let's not go there. So anyway, the Presencia floss is mine, all mine and I ain't sharing it with nobody. You gotta pry it out of my cold, dead fingers. :)


So I went shopping for surprise prizes for Feeling Stitchy a few days ago, in the DMC floss aisle. Now, one of the reasons I spent such a long time there was, I couldn't find ANY of the colors I was looking for. The other reason was I had to stare at each and every color. That gave me the strength of will not to purchase each and every color. :)


more lovely colors

And I have to say, that even though they rarely have the floss colors I am looking for, I really love my local craft store. It's tucked away in this really decrepit-looking alley / street just behind Broadway and Canal. The surrounding shopfronts are covered with graffiti and rusty security gates, all of which make me feel like I'm in a 1970's movie set in New York and some thug is about to pop out of a darkened corner and grab my purse / do kung fu on me. :) Yes, it's the little things that give me pleasure...


Also, the employees are so laid back and nice. Every time I go there, I have a conversation (rare for me, in New York). This time, for example, a really kind-looking guy asked me if I was finding what I needed, so I waved my little list and said, "Nope." He laughed and we chatted about the most popular floss colors. He explained that the last shipment took almost a month to arrive, and when it did, the reds "walk out of here like they have legs on them." And the 310 black, just disappears. Then I listened to the 4 of them discuss something regarding a mule or a burro at the register, and although I left with only 2 out of (literally) 40 items on my list, I left happy. It's the little things, I guess. :)


Because at least I had this:
lovely palette

6 comments:

hodge podge said...

hi flor! do you also go to P&S? it's just around the corner at 360 bway, corner of franklin. i love pearl craft too but their inventory does tend to be sporadic! P&S is my fave all-purpose craft and fabric store; just remember they are closed on saturdays (but open sundays). happy holidays!

floresita said...

Hey Cal! I always seem to be working when they are open, so no. :( But I agree, the few times I was able to make it, their selection is great!

Belinda said...

You can also try City Quilter (on 25th between 6/7 aves)
They have a nice, but small, selection in the back of the store.

Maggie said...

I am addicted to 3846!!!!!

Sylvie said...

It IS the little things. When I have a pizza delivered, half of the fun is the super-sweet older men who I speak to on the phone and who deliver the pizza.

bo betsy said...

hi floresita --
i love floss shopping, too... mmm, the colors...
hey, i've been meaning to write you and let you know that i mentioned your blog in an interview recently. have long admired your work and your online personality. :)
http://www.handmadenews.org/article/index.php?id=4375
happiest of new years to you!
cathie jo