Thursday, December 10, 2009

Monkey Advent

Mitten advent calendar

Thanks for your help calibrating my monitor! I know I probably still don't have it right, but it's a start. I at least took down the ultraviolet-white brightness on my monitor to more normal levels. :) Up above you see my one and only holiday project this season - and hey, I'm cool with that.


You may recognize the little felt mittens (depending on how long you've been following me) from last year, when I started them:


mittens stacked up

I needed a quick project to for my plane ride to Texas last year. This year, I'll be staying in NYC for the first time (unless you count my first year, when I accidentally stayed here because my plane left without me. I don't. I try to block that out, actually.)


this  monkey encourages you to celebrate advent

I actually learned about the meaning of Advent for the first time this year. We never really celebrated it in my family, but it's an interesting and beautiful celebration. In any case, the monkey is just hanging around - he really doesn't know a thing about Advent, to tell the truth.


Although my room is small, I still tried to add a bit of holiday cheer...



Oh, and this is from a walk I took a week ago, I like the way it mirrors the same colors as the ornaments...



Do any of you celebrate Advent? And how many of you are going home for Christmas? I'd like to think I'm not the only one not going home... :)

5 comments:

Alli said...

Your advent calendar is adorable! Advent calendars have always been one of my favorite parts of the season, but I just got my first one this year (this one - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=35291320). I find opening up the little doors way too much fun.

I am going home this year, but I've had years where I haven't. Are you going to have friends around? Try to organize a Christmas meal with them - I promise it will help with the homesickness.

kathi said...

I'm so glad you mentioned the real meaning of Advent. So many people use Advent calendars, but few understand that the season of Advent is a time of waiting and reflection. We do celebrate it in our house, lighting a candle on the Advent wreath every Sunday.

beadgirl said...

We've always celebrated advent in my household. Unfortunately, between the kids and the cats, we have not had an advent wreath for a few years. I have started advent calendars this year, however (paper, since my felt one is not finished), and the kids are starting to get into it.

Now that we have kids, and my mom has moved away from my childhood home, home is here in NYC. So no home for me to go home to (unless you mean home from the supermarket :> ).

Jennifer said...

YES! We celebrate Advent -- it begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. Because of the popularity of Advent calendars, many people think it is simply the 24 days before Christmas, but the length of Advent and the actual day when it starts varies year-to-year (so Advent this year began on 11/29). Advent wreaths sit on a table, and have 4 candles (three purple and one pink) and a candle is lit each Sunday (the pink one is lit on the 3rd Sunday). So each successive Sunday, one more candle is lit. This Sunday, the final one before Christmas, we will light all 4 candles. It is a time to prepare your heart and reflect -- an antidote to all the pre-Christmas stress and craziness!

Stitching said...

Oh my goodness! The ornge car in the pictures is a Volswagon Thing! I bought a brand new one in 1974, it was orange with a white hardtop and I also have a black convertable top for it. It was demolished in 1976 when I was hit by a drunk driver. I loved that car! Laurel