Thursday, February 11, 2010

Central park in the snow

Central Park
larger

In the (almost) 6 years I've lived in NY I've always wanted to walk through Central Park in a snowstorm. But not owning any snowboots, or indeed knowing anyone foolhardy enough to attempt the quest with me, I'd never done it - until yesterday. I thought: I have the afternoon off. I have snowboots on. I have a coat on. Gloves. Hat. Camera. Nothing to do. Why not?



And unlike so many things in life which one plays up in their head to be more than it actually is - it was every bit as beautiful as I thought it would be. Even more. It was early in the day - around 1 PM, so the snow was coming down thickly, covering every surface with powder, but it was just before the wind kicked up and the real blizzard started. So, it was perfect timing.



larger

I walked my familiar path, the one I have memorized in my head and could almost walk blindfolded, determined to see all of my favorite things draped in the unusual contours of the snow.


a tobogganing incident :)

By the way, on all of these pics, be sure to click through and see the large size, because the small version just doesn't cut it. :)



I loved the white strangeness of this world, the soft wetness in the air as clumps of coldness hit your face and eyes. I walked so long my coat was damp and snow began melting on my hat and dripping into my eyes. I boarded the subway a soggy mess, having to remove my coat, hat, and gloves, hanging them on the seat next to me to dry. Lucky for me it was a long ride home. In Brooklyn, the blizzard had started and the snow was painful, hitting your face like a thousand jagged edges. I arrived home looking like a human snowman. :) I think it took a full 10 minutes under a hot shower for my hands to return to normal body temperature. But, it was worth it.

10 comments:

IamSusie said...

Oh Flor, I love love LOVE snow! I love the way it makes everything really quiet and every sound is muffled. I also like when it gets dark, the snow and sky glow during a snowstorm. Then in the morning when the sun finally comes out, the light is blindingly bright. This is especially welcome during these dark days of winter. Of course, I welcome spring when the time comes, but when it is winter, it might as well be snowy!

amelia said...

I live in Queens, so I pretty much just watched it pile up on the balcony. But a few years ago when I was still in school, my boyfriend was in town for Valentine's Day, and we had a blizzard that cancelled flights and classes. We walked through Central Park in the snow, which was breathtaking, and also wandered through the car-less streets in the East Village. It was magical to see the streets full of smiling New Yorkers.

susanc said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos! I especially love the one of the statue/fountain with the bluish tint. Thank you for sharing these!

Nicole said...

I would have loved to have made that walk with you. Thank you for sharing these, they are so inspiring to me. I love that the scenes appear to be time-less and so very still and quiet.

Mina said...

Wow, it´s amazing how snow turns everything so mysterious and beautiful.
Your photos are very poetic , thank you for sharing with us!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Wow, gorgeous!! The third picture down is absolutely stunning.

sara lee said...

Wonderful pictures! The park holds so many great memories for me- walking through as the different seasons take hold. I love too- how it is so quiet after a snow storm in New York- this overwhelming sense of calm. Thank you for sharing!
peace,
slee

Brook said...

oh my gosh.... you are such an amazing photographer.... I love all the pics

Amy said...

I really am drawn to the last picture - so still and grey and those weepy trees....

floresita said...

Thanks, everybody, for your sweet comments on this post! :)