Monday, March 15, 2010

On an assignment: from you!

ny

So often, I forget just what an adventure and a privilege it is to live in New York City. I downplay it all the time, but it is a magical place, filled with magical people and amazing experiences. I love reading your comments about NYC, too - when you chime in about places you've been, places you miss, places you want to see again, or see for the first time. And you, know, here I am, in NYC, and... did I mention I have a lot of time on my hands? ;)


flatiron

Which brings me to my idea... how about... you tell me... where to go? :) How about, at least once a week, I do a post where I'll collect an "assignment" from you! Give me a specific place you want me to go, something you want me to do. I'll take photographs and report back right here, then I'll go on another assignment from you... how does that sound?


Naturally, I won't be able to go every single place you assign for me, but I'll do my best to choose at least one that is doable for me that particular week. Yeah? Ok, let's start now! On this post, right now - tell me where to go this week! :)

13 comments:

Skitzo Leezra Studio said...

Please try to find a long lost ribbon store that was once on lower Broadway but now rumored to be in Williamsburg. It's on Grand Street between Driggs and Roebling, a short walk from the L or the J train. Name of the place ~~ no idea!! Is that a challenge or a dare?

susanc said...

How about Tinsel Trading Company! Here is the address: 1 West 37th Street
New York, NY 10018-5361. It sounds like crafting heaven!

I wish I lived in NYC so I could visit myself.

I'll have to think of some places with architecture I'd like to see or flowers, etc.

camelama said...

I know nothing about New York except for the Statue of Liberty, so I'm going to ask about general subjects. I'd love to see more of the waterfront of New York - people who work on the water, with water, work with things from water.... :)

And, how about ... pickles. or pickled. Anything.

:)

Yuki said...

I miss The Strand... such a book heaven!

I also used to enjoy strolling in the West Village/Washington Square area... all the old coffee shops... and one-of-a-kind sort of shops. Aedes de Venustas (9 Christopher St.) was especially beautiful-- always stopped there to indulge the senses. ;)

Sew Charitable said...

I'd love you to find a great NY bakery and take pics of the wonderful delights. Can you tell that I'm dieting and cranky for dessert? :-)

Carina said...

Flor, I want to see your favourite place. :-)

Frenchi said...

You should check out any performances by Mary Mount Manhattan -- my friend is a 4th year theater student there, and from my understanding the performances are amazing!

Nicole said...

Love your idea! I'd love you to show me something you like from or about the Metropolitan Museum or the Guggenheim(or another museum)!

Ondine said...

Oh man - I was lucky enough to live in New York for 6 months back in 2008, and I still miss it even now (I'm back in London) - to the point of a painful yearning. I'm glad you're loving it so much.

I attempt to do various craft-y things, so one of my favourite things to do was go rummage round all the wonderful, slightly grimy shops in the garment district - haberdashers, ribbons and trimmings shops...wonderful! Oh - and a cupcake or a cinnamon bun thing from Amy's on 9th & 47th is something you'll never regret.

cristalle said...

I know I'm late on this but...

My favorite waterfront parks are the one at the very end of Greenpoint ave and Gantry Park in Long Island City.

Maybe you already know about it but Economy Candy on Rivington between Essex and Ludlow is AMAZING. Bulk candy bins and old fashioned candies and some foreign candies...

alison said...

One of my biggest regrets while a tourist in NYC last May for a week was not getting photos of the fantastic subway stations.

The New York Subway has some really character-full stations, with fantastic tile art and other installations that make commuting and wandering through oh so entertaining. I particularly enjoyed the journey to the center of the Earth underneath the Museum of Natural History, and all the tile hats, wherever that one is. Do you have a favourite?

Therese said...

I'm a little homesick for the Tea Lounge on Union St./7th Ave. in Park Slope. Can you go there and take a photo? :-)ve

Lynn said...

What a fun idea!