Friday, June 11, 2010

Sign for my Tia



Last week at home I did next to nothing (exactly what I'd planned). I love the sleepy feeling of lazing around in the air conditioning, taking walks in the heat, taking long showers, eating cold things.

One of the very few things I did was make this little sign for my Tia, who wasn't feeling well.



I'd purchased a big stack of felt from Hobby Lobby, and had on hand 5 threads I brought with me.

"You travel with your supplies?" my brother noted, with much amusement. Why yes, I do. I pulled out a big sketch book and proceeded to make a huge mess of little cuttings and loose threads. I love the process of making things - that I can make a simple plan, then a huge mess, then create very quietly. I sewed and hummed while the AC cranked away and I forced everyone to listen to Eydie Gorme.

I used all 6 strands for the main embroidery, so it would stand out:


I used 2 strands to embroider around the edges of the individual letters, as they were small:


Sewed different colors to the backs of all the letters, and hung them with bright reddish-pink embroidery floss:


I put hearts on the back of Tia (since she's Tia to me, but just Berta to my mom, her sister). It says (in Spanish, of course): Te queremos mucho Tia Berta, or We love you very much Aunt Berta. I found some beautiful bright flowers at the local Wal-Mart and we took her the sign, the flowers, and a box of paletas from our favorite paleteria. It was a sweet end to a lazy week.

4 comments:

Lisa Leggett said...

This is such a pretty and whimsical piece. I love colors you chose, so vivid and friendly, and I especially love that it was for your Aunt. I think that's the best, and I'm sure it brought a huge smile to her face and made her feel a lot better!

I've been meaning to drop a congradulatory line to you anyway, but I've been a little nervous... I'm kind of a big fan :o)
Your "Stupid Lamb" piece is featured in Love Bites, The Unofficial Saga of Twilight and my pillow is right there next to your wonderful cross stitch. It's an honor to have something I made chosen for a book at all, but then to be placed right next to your piece (which I LOVE!) is really exciting. Did you receive your copy yet? It's actually a really beautiful book. I blogged about it a couple of weeks ago...

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line to say hello, I love your work, and congradulations!
Have a wonderful day!
Lisa

Katie said...

This is so lovely!

... I also carry supplies with me, and get hassled for it...

Tishous said...

Oh, I love this! I always like seeing some trusty old felt put to pretty use :)

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

So pretty!! What a perfect gift.