Saturday, July 31, 2010

Texas

sky10

So, I've been home for a little over a week, and I'm beginning to understand what people mean when they say you can't go home. It's odd - but I suppose home is more a state of mind. I've unpacked my boxes so gingerly -  less than a week ago I went through all my belongings, selecting just a few things.

I took photos of all the things I couldn't take, and now they're my little souvenirs:



Some of the toughest things to part with were my coats. So I photographed them all, as a sort of farewell:

c1

This was my first nice wool coat, so well-worn that the pockets were threadbare and mended multiple times with whatever thread was on hand. I always felt pretty in this coat. Coats, in NY, are like your second skin, and part of me was sad when winter ended, because I had to shed this lovely layer.

c2

This brown wool coat never suited me so well, but I loved it. It was the last one in the local H&M, and a blonde was staring me down for it. Maybe the added level of drama in its purchase gave it an additional charm...

c3

This plaid wool coat was a totally unnecessary purchase - in fact I think I bought it because I fell in love with the lining. It never looked so nice on me, but it was cozy and made me feel anonymous and comfortable in a very unruly epoch of my life (last year).

It is so odd settling into a new space, and realizing all your worldly possessions fit easily inside 7-8 small boxes and 3 suitcases. It feels very freeing, but you feel also set adrift, or like you just survived a fire.

But, all of these considerations fade into the background when I see a sky like this:
sky5

Or, little houses like this:
cute little house

Or, pan dulce like this:
pan dulce

I'm set adrift, but in a very, very lovely sea.

Checking in will be patchy until I get settled. I feel overwhelmed, excited, happy. Hope all is well with you guys!!! :)

6 comments:

Busy Bee said...

Brilliant sky pics, very scary looking though, we don't get sky's like that here in Ireland.. X X

gina said...

so happy to hear you arrived safely in Texas...I have experienced several times how moving can put a person in a weird emotional limbo, it's sad & exciting at the same time. and am dreading/looking forward to it happening again probably sooner rather than later for us. I also understand how a coat can make you feel pretty, or protected, or many other things - I have far more coats than a person needs but each one is so unique & makes me feel a certain way when I wear it. I've even toyed with doing a coat feature on my blog in fact...there'd easily be a month of posts right there that's how many I've managed to gather! good luck with settling in Flor & I look forward to reading & seeing photos of your texas adventures :)

Mrs. Trumbull said...

Oh, Floresita...I hope you'll be happy back in Texas. I've been snooping around your blog for quite a while now, and since I live in NY, I always wanted to post something and maybe see if we could meet up. I dabble in all sorts of crafts, including writing, and always admired YOUR crafts AND writing. Having also moved back to NY from San Francisco and Rhode Island, I know what a transition it can be. It's funny, but it almost seems it's harder to go "home" than somewhere new. I do hope it works out for you, and I look forward to reading what you're up to. Take care, and best of luck!

Jacey said...

Welcome back to Texas!

beadgirl said...

I'm happy for you and I hope you settle in soon, although I think NYC will miss you.

Estefanita said...

That sky was tremendous :) But nothing beats the pan dulce!