Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Filmstrips and photo booths

strip23

So, here's what's been occupying my thoughts night and day for the past week or so... I'm planning a photobooth for my best friend's wedding! I got the idea from a few different sites, but rather than fork out for a real photobooth, I'm going to re-create the effect on my own, using a camera, my computer, and a printer.

I purchased about 2 1/2 yards of that crazy floral print fabric you see behind me. In actuality, it's a rather demure, almost dull charcoal-looking gray and off-white:
the backdrop

Just goes to show how much a flash can change the look of a fabric! I still think I'd like this fabric a lot more if it had a red background, but I couldn't find a red-patterned fabric I liked.

strip18

In the background are a few little crafty projects I'll show you close-ups of later - large initials on red fabric, a little red heart applique in a tiny white oval frame and in the rectangular frame (which you can't make out at all) is XOXO in red on black. Looks like I'll have to re-stitch that one in a better color, probably white or pink... And, yeah, that's a Twilight calendar. It's an inside joke. Or, maybe I just like Edward. Moving on...

How I'm Gonna Do It...
So, my plan is to set up the fabric backdrop with a camera on a tripod. I'll set my camera to fire 4 times, and just press the button (or get a cute kid to do it for me). Then, I'll download the images to my computer, and edit them to create that cool filmstrip-effect. I have oodles of dumb props like sunglasses, hats, Twilight calendars, etc.

My main quandary: should I take my printer with me? It, um, weighs 33 pounds. I'd love to be able to print the little filmstrips and give them out as favors to the wedding guests. But in between taking photos, downloading them, editing them, and printing them, maybe I'll be too pressed for time? Oh, and I'm also standing in the wedding. Yeah, that too. ;)

Maybe I should just create a slideshow for the bride and groom as I edit the photos, and print them later? Either way, I plan to give everyone a link to the photos so they can print them out on their own...

What do you guys think? Have any ideas on how I should do this? I know you guys are all really, really creative... Anyone done a DIY photobooth before and have some words of wisdom for me? I'd really appreciate it! :)

6 comments:

Drop Stitches Not Bombs said...

What a super idea! I'd say don't take your printer- I'm sure people would be equally appreciative of getting the photo after the wedding, and I wouldn't want to worry about someone spilling a drink on my equipment! But then, I did once get sacked as a bridesmaid after shaving my head, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask for wedding advice...

Mollie. said...

I haven't done a photo booth, but I did do an event where we printed family photos for over at least 75 families. We had two memory cards going, and while one person took the pictures on one card, the other printed from the other card. It worked pretty well.

That said, I'm sure no one would mind waiting, because it's still so fun to have the pictures taken!

Teenysparkles said...

This is such a clever idea, people are going to LOVE it!

Jacey said...

I think the filmstrip is a great idea, but yeah, I would recommend holding off on the processing and printing. You're going to have enough going on without that added pressure.

Funnily enough, I was in a wedding this weekend, and the groom and I have a tradition of sorts of taking photobooth pictures. The photographer is a friend of ours and indulged us in a four-strip of our own. He did the same thing with mergin the files, and it came out fantastic.

Have fun, and let us know how it turns out!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Haha - I love that photo of you and Edward!

Yeah, I'm going to ditto the others - I think that processing is going to take way too much time at the wedding (you won't be able to enjoy any of it!). Taking the photos and then sending a link where people can print them on their own is a good idea.

beadgirl said...

It'd probably be too much for you to do by yourself, but maybe you can recruit a couple of friends to help out -- that way you'll have time to enjoy the wedding too.